After a 26-year break, Castelli has returned to the Giro d’Italia, this year providing the four leaders jerseys for the 101st riding of the great Italian tour.
[vimeo width=”610″ height=”343″]https://vimeo.com/251507097[/vimeo]
To coincide with the occasion, Castelli has released a limited collection that harkens back to a beloved era when first Giro d’Italia winner to wear the Castelli pink jersey was Giovanni Battaglin in 198, and the last was Spain’s two-time winner Miguel Indurain in 1992. Here’s a rundown of the new pieces.
Giro d’Italia Race Jersey FZ
This is the official 2018 race jersey, identical to the jerseys worn by the Giro’s four classification leaders, plus an homage to the maglia nera. It is designed to be light and aerodynamic, with seams that follow the shape of the athlete’s body for improved fit. Four different SITIP fabrics with different textures are used to ensure that the right fabric is in the right position to maximize aerodynamics and breathability. The sleeve ends are laser cut to optimize comfort and aerodynamics.
- Gold zipper pull as a tribute to the real Trofeo Infinito
- Internal radio pocket positioned at back of neck with jacquard woven label
- Internal neck finishing with Giro d’Italia infinity silk-touch ribbon
- Mesh silicone elastic waistband
- 3-D print “Giro d’Italia” on sleeves and “Trofeo”
- Aon back yoke
- Race fit
- MSRP: $160
Giro d’Italia Squadra Jersey FZ
This is the Squadra version of the Giro d’Italia jersey, available both in the colors of the official classifications and with special-edition graphics for the most significant stages of the 2018 Giro.
- 3 different SITIP fabrics, including mesh on side panels and laser-cut stretch fabric on sleeves
- YKK Vislon zipper with Castelli scorpion zipper pull
- Mesh silicone waistband with Giro 101 graphic
- 3 rear pockets with Castelli’s drop pocket design
- Castelli’s Maratona fit to cover a wide range of body shapes
- MSRP: $100
Giro d’Italia Volo Bib Short
- KISS Air seat pad for all-day comfort
- Affinity Lycra fabric on inside of leg for outstanding stretch and rebound
- Affinity BLC textured fabric on legs for better aerodynamics
- Giro Air engineered mesh gripper
- Flat-lock stitching
- Mesh straps for comfort and breathability
- MSRP: $140
With all the Gabba copies out there, it’s amazing how many pros still buy the real Gabba. This is the third generation of the garment that launched an entirely new category, what some magazines are trying to call the “rain jersey” but the pros just call the Gabba. Castelli has slightly tweaked the fit and improved the drop tail and pockets, but otherwise kept with the winning formula of warmth, breathability and water repellency. The Gabba is the centerpiece of the Perfetto family of foul-weather race equipment products.
- Fully aero, fully breathable and fully protected
- Gore Windstopper X-Lite Plus fabric for lightweight total wind protection with water-repellent finish
- Nano Flex fabric insert under arms
- Storm-flap construction with reflective logo at back protects from wheel spray
- Silicone gripper at waist prevents ride-up
- Full-length YKK Vislon zipper with wind flap
- 3 rear pockets with laser-cut drain holes
- MSRP: $180
Giro d’Italia 12 Sock
- Light compression sock for on-bike or recovery use
- 12cm length reaches to just below calf muscle
- 65% polyamide and 35% elastane for long-lasting compression pressure
- $MSRP: $26
Giro d’Italia Glove
- Printed mesh back of hand
- Lightly padded synthetic palm
- Microsuede nose wipe on thumb
- MSRP: $40
Giro d’Italia Cycling Cap
- Classic 100% cotton cycling cap
- Dyed fabrics with printed graphic under bill
- MSRP: $26
Armando Le T-Shirt
Made of an ultra-soft cotton polyester blend, reach for this t-shirt when you wake up to catch each early morning stage finish.
- Soft cotton polyester blend
- Screen-print graphic
- MSRP: $26
For more info, head to www.castelli-cycling.com.