Oregon’s Showers Pass has unveiled a new line of Cloudcover Waterproof Bags designed to withstand the elements and provide unique functionality for year round cyclists.
The Cloudcover line includes the the Transit Backpack ($264), Utility Backpack ($214), and the Refuge Duffel ($189), all made with durable waterproof construction, self-supporting design, and featuring integrated/removable red LED beacon lights for safety. The bags are made with 840 denier ballistic strength Nylon with a waterproof TPU coating, fully welded seams, and waterproof zippers for durability and exceptional weather protection.
All three styles of bags are equipped with reflective trims for improved night visibility and your choice of green, gold or silver colored anodized aluminum hardware to provide a lightweight yet durable alternative to plastic with an added pop of color.
“When we branch out into new categories we aim to solve problems for the end user. On one side of the industry there are many functional non-waterproof backpacks and duffel bags, while on the other side there are many great roll-top waterproof bags that don’t provide much organizational utility” says Kyle Ranson, Showers Pass president. “We designed a line of bags that combined functional design for better organization with waterproof construction, and with many innovative features.”
The Transit and Utility Backpacks feature ergonomic padded shoulder straps that are kept in place with a low-profile sternum strap clipping mechanism. 3D mesh spacer panels on the back provide cushion and airflow. The padded waist strap features two zippered pockets, and can be worn around the waist, buckled to the front of the bag or removed completely and worn alone as a hip pack.
The Utility and Transit Packs also feature suspended laptop sleeves that keep computers or tablets secure and off the ground during sudden drops. The Transit and Utility Backpacks also have 4 points of integrated removable LED lighting, and each bag includes four red LED Beacon lights which snap into metal grommets. The small, silicone-clad LED’s run on watch batteries, and offer a solid mode, as well as two flashing modes. With a 200-hour run time, these lights are programmed with an automatic shut-off feature to conserve battery life (auto shut-off after an hour on flashing mode).
First Impression: Transit Waterproof Backpack
We got our hands on an test pack ahead of its official release, and for the most part were very impressed. While the boxy shape is a little on the clunky looking side, the pack’s construction is impressively robust, durable, and it is indeed totally waterproof (we got caught in the rain during a press launch to verify). Zippers are sturdy, seams are bomb proof, and we love how the pack stays open when set on the ground. It makes it exceptionally easy to pack and unpack.
On the flip side, points are taken off for some slight stickiness in the top closure’s zipper. We’d also love one more internal vertical sleeve that was wide enough for stowing magazines, notebooks and the like. As it is there is one for the laptop and another that’s about tablet width. The waist belt pockets can also be a little tricky to access, as they end up a bit behind you once straps are secured.
Overall, though, the amount of pockets and its user-friendliness was truly impressive, as are the on-bike safety availed by the attachable beacon lights and built-in reflective striping. We also really love how the pack suspends your laptop off the ground, keeping it safe from inadvertent drops (which happens more often that we care to admit).
The back is highly padded and vented for improved comfort, and the oversized waist strap keeps the pack secure on your waist (and you can remove for a more streamlined look and/or use the waist belt as a fanny pack ). Bottom line, while it’s a little on the expensive side, the Showers Pass Transit Waterproof Backpack makes it easy to stay organized (and safe) whether traveling overseas or commuting a few blocks to work.
Transit Waterproof Backpack Features
- Waterproof, fully welded construction
- 3D Mesh spacer back panels wick moisture, dries quickly and allows air circulation
- 840-denier 100% ballistic strength Nylon with a single side TPU coating
- Adjustable waist strap buckles out of the way or can be removed and worn alone as a hip pack
- 3M Reflective trim is visible from all angles
- Adjustable Velcro side straps can hold a U-Lock or larger items
- Front pocket with side zippers and stretchy mesh gusset is designed to hold a helmet when not in use
- Sternum strap clip is adjustable and can be removed completely
- Self-supporting backpack won’t fall over when packing/unpacking
- Comes with 4 red LED Beacon Lights that plug into grommets on the sides and back of the bag
- Fleece lined laptop compartment fits up to 17” notebook and is designed to not touch the ground when backpack is dropped
- Fleece lined iPad compartment fits up to 10” tablet
- 4 nylon compartments with elastic openings fit water bottles and other essentials
- Fleece lined media pocket inside backpack with anodized aluminum key fob
- Available in 3 colorways : Black/Lime, Black/White and Black/Goldenrod
- Retail: $264