In the why-didn’t-we-think-of-that department this week comes the new Quarq TyreWiz, a real time tire pressure sensor that works on road and mountain bikes. Once installed, pressure is displayed on a smartphone app as well as certain GPS head units with ANT+ or Bluetooth Low Energy radio capabilities. You can even set high and low parameters so that an alarm will sound if you’re out of desired range. Price is $199 for a set.
Potential useful applications include getting precise readings when you don’t trust your floor pump or are using a pump with no gauge. You can also keep track of pressure while riding, when things such as temperature change, a burp, or a puncture that quickly gets sealed can all alter how much air is in your tire. With TyreWiz installed you’ll know if you need to stop and top off, or if you’re good to keep riding.
The TyreWiz looks easy to install. If your current set-up has a removable Presta valve, just unthread the existing valve core with an included tool, and then thread the TyreWiz sensor onto the valve stem. The sensor is powered by a standard CR1632 battery that’s claimed to last around 300 hours. It’s compatible with tube or tubeless tires, and even tires with anti-flat sealant.
Each TyreWiz sensor has an IPX7 dustproof and waterproof rating and weighs 10 grams per. Once activated, it updates tire pressure once per second. The Android and iOS app even provides personalized recommendations based on rider weight and tire dimensions.
- Works with any tire that uses a removable Presta valve core
- Data can be read on a cycling computer or smartphone with the app for iOS and Android
- Smartphone app displays personalized tire pressure recommendations, current tire pressure, and low/high pressure alerts
- Includes two sensors, batteries, and valve core removal tool
- TyreWiz sensors include LED lights to indicate when pressure is outside target range
- Designed for road and mountain bike use
- Data reported with +/- 2% accuracy at .1 PSI resolution
- Uses user-replaceable CR1632 battery that’s claimed to last 300 hours
- IPX7 dustproof/waterproof rating