Sony now has two Action Cameras, the AS100V and the small AS1VR. They are shown in the photo side by side, illustrating how small the AS1VR is. The bigger AS100V weighs in at 92 grams and costs $298. The small AS1VR is 62 grams and costs $249.
The main difference between the two, is the big one has more battery life and can take still photos at 13.1 megapixels. The smaller one takes photos at 11.9 megapixels.
Good news is video quality, sound and image stabilization are still category leading for POV cameras. Sony is most proud of their image stabilization though, as they claim no one in the category rivals them. It makes the video so much more viewable in a wide variety of applications.
There are now an array of mounts and accessories, like a wrist-held remote and monitor. These connect via Wi-Fi and can take the place of a smart phone for live-viewing of the video.
- Record up to 1080 60p (50 Mbps) Video
- Capture 13.5MP stills with Photo Mode, 11.1 MP for the smaller AS1VR
- Built-in GPS & Wi-Fi connectivity
- Splash-resistant body with standard tripod mount
- Included housing is waterproof to 16.4′
- SteadyShot Image Stabilization, considered the best in the POV category
- HDMI Output & Stereo Microphone Input, standard mic records in stereo
- $298 (AS100V) and $249 (AS1VR) MSRP
For more information visit www.sony.com.
This article is part of RoadBikeReview’s coverage of the 2014 Interbike trade show in Las Vegas. For more from Interbike CLICK HERE.