(AP) – British speedster Mark Cavendish won a windy and crash-marred fifth stage of the Tour de France in a mass sprint on Wednesday, while Thor Hushovd of Norway kept the leader’s yellow jersey.
Stage 5 Results
1. Mark Cavendish HTC-Highroad – 3:38:32
2. Philippe Gilbert Omega Pharma-Lotto
3. Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil Movistar Team
4. Tony Gallopin Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne
5. Geraint Thomas Sky Procycling
6. André Greipel Omega Pharma-Lotto
7. Sébastien Hinault AG2R La Mondiale
8. William Bonnet FDJ
9. Daniel Oss Liquigas-Cannondale
10. Thor Hushovd Team Garmin-Cervelo
General classification after Stage 5
1. Thor Hushovd Team Garmin-Cervelo – 17:36:57
2. Cadel Evans BMC Racing Team – 0:00:01
3. Fränk Schleck Leopard Trek – 0:00:04
4. David Millar Team Garmin-Cervelo – 0:00:08
5. Andreas Klöden Team RadioShack – 0:00:10
6. Bradley Wiggins Sky Procycling
7. Geraint Thomas Sky Procycling – 0:00:12
8. Edvald Boasson Hagen Sky Procycling
9. Jakob Fuglsang Leopard Trek
10. Andy Schleck Leopard Trek
Links to news sites…
“Cavendish bags 16th stage win in Tour de France
By Justin Davis (AFP)
CAP FREHEL, France — Britain’s Mark Cavendish of HTC-Highroad claimed his 16th career win on the crash-marred fifth stage of the Tour de France Wednesday.
Norwegian Thor Hushovd, of the Garmin-Cervelo team, kept the race leader’s yellow jersey after the 164.5km ride from Carhaix to Cap Frehel which saw several overall contenders hit the tarmac.
Reigning champion Alberto Contador, Britain’s Bradley Wiggins and Dutchman Robert Gesink all survived crashes to go on and continue their bid for overall victory.
However Contador, who also crashed on the first stage when he lost over a minute to key rivals, said he is looking forward to things improving over the coming weeks.
“It was a very tense stage with a lot of crashes,” said the Spaniard, who crashed alongside Katusha team rider Vladimir Gusev after the halfway point, picking up a shoulder knock.” Read more from AFP…
“Cavendish wins crash-filled fifth stage
(Reuters) – Briton Mark Cavendish became one of the top 10 stage winners in the Tour de France when he raced to victory in an incident-packed fifth stage in Cap Frehel on Wednesday.
The Briton surged in the last stretch of the 164.5-km ride from Carhaix to upstage Belgian champions Philippe Gilbert and Spain’s Jose Joaquin Rojas on the line.
The Manxman’s 16th stage success in the Tour drew him level with the number of stage victories by five-times Tour winner Jacques Anquetil.
Norway’s Thor Hushovd retained the overall leader’s yellow jersey.
Before Cavendish dashed to his first stage win in this edition, almost all the big names in the peloton hit the tarmac in a windswept ride along the Breton seaside, starting with three-times champion Alberto Contador.” Read more from the Reuters…
Photos by CorVos