Long had riders inside and outside of the Zwift community asked for an Alps-style climb. Now they have it. it. The online training/gaming platform has a new road, and it points up, up, up.
Alpe Du Zwift will bear more than a few similarities to one of the most famous climbs in cycling, Alpe D’Huez. However, while the terrain mimics the French giant, Zwift has given the climb a distinct twist with numbered switchbacks and gaming twists that’ll keep folks engaged as they climb upwards. Press play to see a trailer.
Alpe Du Zwift will be a fantastic training tools for those preparing for gran fondos or long distance events. For many people, this will be the only way to simulate climbs of one hour or more in length.
The Alpe Du Zwift segment
- Alpe Du Zwift is part of the Watopia Island course and can be accessed via the Mayan Jungle
- Segments: 21 Hairpins/switchbacks
- Alpe Du Zwift is only open to Zwifters at Level 12 or higher
- The Level 12 Alpe Gate is marked Red when locked, and Green when available
- Zwifters who become level 12 mid-session will immediately be allowed access
- Segment Length: 7.5mi /12km
- Segment elevation gain: 3400ft /1036m
- Average gradient: 8.5%
Three other new, preset routes will also be added to Watopia following the release of Alpe Du Zwift.
Four Horsemen: 55.5 miles/89.3 km; 6929 ft/2112m | Volcano Climb, Hilly Route, Epic KOM, Radio Tower, Mayan Jungle, and Alpe du Zwift
Road to Sky: 12.4 miles/19.9km; 3753 ft/1144m | Starts at Spruce Goose/pie, goes to top of Alpe du Zwift
Tour of Fire and Ice: 15.6 miles/25.1km; 3826 ft/1166m | Starts in the Volcano, goes to top of Alpe du Zwift
To learn more head over to zwift.com.