Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this stuff pretty normal? I saw one thread talking about changing cables every year. I'ma take another ride tomorrow and hopefully make it back easy or if it snaps let it snap while Im already in the easy riding gear. :D In case the picture is small the cable that leads to the rear gears (derailuers?) is fraying.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes on that ride. :wink5:

Seriously, I'd swap out those cables before venturing out. If the front gives out, you'll be in a lower gear, but if the rear snaps, the RD will drop to the smallest cog. I've had it happen and it ain't fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah so without tension the it drops back to the lowest gear. Well that sucks. I have to get this morning ride in... it makes me happy for the rest of the day. I was going to go 80+ miles but I think I'll do 30+ instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right, if the cable breaks, the spring in the rear derailleur will cause it to move to the smallest cog, and you'll be stuck in that gear. But, before that, the cable is likely to lengthen slightly as the individual wires break. That will mess up your shifting unless you compensate for it at the barrel adjustor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.