Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am doing a bicycling related project for college, one of the components is that I have to read and review a “bicycling/bicycle” novel. Do you guy/gals have any recommendations for an interesting read?

Isaac

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fiction or non-fiction? There are, of course, the Lance, Landis, and Johan autobis. Pantani's bio. The Flying Scotsman which was turned into a film, and myrida cycling travelogues. Amazon is your friend, but so is your local bookstore.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'd add "Heft on Wheels" to the list. Inspirational stuff and an autobio. I love his writing style, written by an English Professor from IL. I liked Michael Barry's "Inside the USPS Bus" and thought the Pantani bio was fascinating. Haven't really read any cycling fiction though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
10 Points - Put this at the top of your list. Book was a really amazing read!!! I got emotional reading the book.

Heft on Wheels is also good

Either of the Lance Armstrong biography

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies/good links! Are ther any novels that dont focus on racing? I only ask because my interest in bicycling do not lie in racing but just enjoying the ride, being outside and the machine.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Novel implies fiction. "Just enjoying the ride" doesn't sound like the makings of good fiction to me.

For fiction, I second the recommendation for books by Greg Moody. He wrote a half dozen cycling murder mysteries.

For non-fiction (not what I'd call a "novel"), there are lots of how-to books on touring, long-distance riding, etc. Most of these books have a chapter on the best ways to enjoy it.

If you really are interested in non-fiction, then say so and I'll bet you'll get a lot of recommendations.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
audiisaac said:
Thanks for all the replies/good links! Are ther any novels that dont focus on racing? I only ask because my interest in bicycling do not lie in racing but just enjoying the ride, being outside and the machine.
Read heft on wheels then.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
"French Revolutions is freakin' hilarious, but it's not a novel. It does focus on touring and riding around, though.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
John Nelson said:
Novel implies fiction. "Just enjoying the ride" doesn't sound like the makings of good fiction to me.
May not sound that way to you, but there are others who would strongly disagree . :D

H.G. Wells' The Wheels of Chance is a good novel. No racing.
James E. Starrs' The Noiseless Tenor: The Bicycle in Literature is a helpful anthology pointing to other novels, many of them with zero racing content.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
wim said:
May not sound that way to you, but there are others who would strongly disagree . :D

H.G. Wells' The Wheels of Chance is a good novel. No racing.
James E. Starrs' The Noiseless Tenor: The Bicycle in Literature is a helpful anthology pointing to other novels, many of them with zero racing content.

Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men on a Bummel is another cycling novel with no racing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Men_on_the_Bummel But, even if you are not into racing, Tim Krabbe's The Rider is the book I would recommend most highly.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
MarkS said:
But, even if you are not into racing, Tim Krabbe's The Rider is the book I would recommend most highly.
Agree with that, and highly recommend this book as well. Like in all good novels, the protagonist—a racer, in this case—is extremely interesting.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.