Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a ride up the C&O Canal trail from DC to Great Falls, MD yesterday. The weather was about as nice as one could expect for mid-March -- sunnyish and mid-70s. Lots of people on the trail taking advantage of the weather. I got to play SAG for I think five people -- 3 patches, 1 tube and wrenching a loose handlebar. I hope they pay it forward someday. :) The turtles were out in force. In the water around that log were at least half a dozen more looking for a way to join the club.

I'd never been to Great Falls before. I wouldn't call them "falls" but they are some serious rapids. Unfortunately, none of the wide angle pictures I took do any justice to the actual size of those rapids. My vantage point in the falls shots was from about 40 feet or so above them and they were about 100 yards away from me. They are definitely formidable. As I was riding up to the falls, a rescue helecopter was circling. Someone had fallen in. Fortunately, it turn out that a kayaker had gotten the person a life jacket and they made it out ok.

On the way back, I passed a busted water main. The amount of water coming out it was truly impressive. Back over the Key Bridge, I stopped at the Theodore Roosevelt memorial -- another place I have never been. TR's memorial is fitting, IMO. Nestled on an island in the middle of the Potomac, secluded and surrounded by nature. Very nice indeed. I want to go back in the summer when the fountains are working again.

A very nice day it was!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Wow Ken, did a good job capturing some of those sights. I would hate to have been the person going for a swim in that water. Yikes. Also, really like the hand shot. Gorgeous.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts