Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help deciding between a set of the new DA wheels or ksyrium SL. Looking for insight on the 04 DA wheels.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
One thing to consider

If the DA factory wheels are like the 10 speed hubs, I don't believe they are backwards compatible to 9 speed. With the K's you can run 10 speed or 9 speed and even change the cassette to Campy. So you will get more flexibility with the K's.

Both are high end, although the previous incarnation of the Shimano wheel was not well received with the odd spoke layout, not sure if this is more conventional on the 7800's. K's have a pretty good reputation.

If it were me I'd get the Ksyriums. Or, I'd buy the Dura Ace 10 hubset and build up a custom set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ksyriums. Just like the last guys says, you have better flexibility with these wheels and they are from a trusted wheel maker. I haven't ridden the DA's but the Ksyrium SL's that I have ride nice, great for climbing, crits and general riding.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't write off the DA WH-7800s

I've been riding a pair of WH-7800s for the last two weeks, and they are very nice wheels. Can't compare them to Ksyriums, but they compare very well to my my race-day AC350s. In terms of technology they are very similar to the Ksyriums, i.e. slightly aero rims on low-count radial bladed spokes (radial front, radial, 2x rear), sealed bearing hubs. Shimano machining is very high quality. I suspect that they will become a lot more popular as people get experience with them - right now there aren't that many out there, and they are only compatible with DA04 10-speed groups, which are also not common yet. The reason they aren't backwards compatible is that Shimano deepened the splines on the 10-speed cassettes so they wouldn't "chew up" the alloy freehub bodies. You can put the deeper-splined 10-speed cassette on a shallow-spline 9-speed freehub, but you can't fit the shallower-splined 9-speed cassette on the new deep-spline DA04 freehub. To be honest, I'm using my ACs in the early season crits because they are easier to rebuild if they get wrecked; for road racing the 7800s are going to become my race wheels (as well as my day-to-day trainers).

·
Registered
113 Posts
rumours:
It seems the pros of t-mobile team dont like their wh-7800.
It is said that these wheels arent't stiff enough. they ride on campy neutrons so far.
for paris-nizza they will change for FIR Antara wheels.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
There is your answer: Campagnolo Neutrons. You can order them with shimano splines, 9 and 10 speed compatible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Doesn't T-Mobile race on tubulars?

FORT-Cyclist said:
rumours:
It seems the pros of t-mobile team dont like their wh-7800.
It is said that these wheels arent't stiff enough. they ride on campy neutrons so far.
for paris-nizza they will change for FIR Antara wheels.
I thought T-Mobile raced on tubulars, which makes the 7800s a non-issue (they only exist in a clincher version, unlike the Campys which come in a tubular version). Have they decided to race on clinchers? I guess that's why I don't trust rumors!

·
Registered
113 Posts
palewin said:
I thought T-Mobile raced on tubulars, which makes the 7800s a non-issue (they only exist in a clincher version, unlike the Campys which come in a tubular version). Have they decided to race on clinchers? I guess that's why I don't trust rumors!
maybe that's also a reason to abandon the wh-7800.
but on the picture it looks like conti gp3000.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I've spent three years on Ksyriums (originals and '02 SLs) and just had the new DA wheels specced on my C50. I really, really like Ksyriums and will still race the SLs on my old C40, but here's why I chose the DA's:

1. The hubs on the DAs are waaaay better. Ksyrium hubs always felt a bit harsh to me. I think they use different assemblies or something.

2. While the DAs are something like 80 grammes heavier, they feel more aero. The spoke heads aren't left outside the rim (as with the K's), they're recessed. At speeds around 25mph the DAs just seem to roll better.

3. They're definitely more comfortable. I suspect they use steel spokes (rather than the alu on the K).

4. The DAs are easier to clean and the stickers don't start peeling off after a wet and nasty ride (like this morning's :( ).

Don't get me wrong - on a really nasty hillclimb or criterium I'd probably choose the Ks. But for an all round wheel the new DA has a lot going for it.

I don't know why T-Mob have Neutrons in that pic. Neutrons are great wheels (one of Campy's best products), but don't jump to conclusions about why Vino et al have them in that photo...

CC

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Between the 2 you listed, I'd go with K's just for flexibility and reputation, why be a guinea pig?

But, I don't think I would get a pre-made wheel like that. Better off getting a custom build, cheaper, lighter, stronger, easily fixed, etc. etc. Just my opinion though, otherwise, K's it is.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts