Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've riden my '04 Roubaix Comp. for several years and several thousand miles. This summer I was fortunate enough to build up a 2010 Roubaix Pro frame/fork ,etc. While components on both bikes are not the same, they are certainly close to equal with no weak links. The one glaring difference might be that the Pro has a compact crank. The Pro is a bit lighter, but not by much. Now for the issue that puzzles me. Why would the Pro leave me feeling drained after a 30-40 ride compared to the old Comp that leaves me a whole lot fresher? Maybe it's just a matter of getting use to the new frame ( only 400 miles so far), but I would have thought the opposite. They're both very smooth so it's not like I'm getting beat up on the Pro.....just that as silly as it sounds, the Pro seems to take a bit more of a push to get it going. Am I missing something about modern frame dynamics here? Thanks for your thoughts and I hope everyone has a great Labor Day.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
What frame size(s) are the bikes? If they're different (or if the geo changed between '04 and '10), there's your answer. If they're the same frame size/ geo, I'd look at differences in fit. The differences don't have to be large to matter, so depending on the care you took to duplicate both, that might be the answer.

Beyond that, I'd look at wheelsets, tires, PSI, but I'd lean towards differences in fit/ contact points.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The frames are both 56.5(large) and the Pro was set-up to match the Comp as closely as possible. That said, there are a few things I could still check. Thanks for your suggestions. Gives me some hope.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PJ352 said:
What frame size(s) are the bikes? If they're different (or if the geo changed between '04 and '10), there's your answer. If they're the same frame size/ geo, I'd look at differences in fit. The differences don't have to be large to matter, so depending on the care you took to duplicate both, that might be the answer.

Beyond that, I'd look at wheelsets, tires, PSI, but I'd lean towards differences in fit/ contact points.
PJ,
After a 35 mile ride today, it appears you are spot on. Without going into a lot of detail, it was definitely a "fit" issue that required I move the Pro seat about 1/2" forward.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
mick wolfe said:
PJ,
After a 35 mile ride today, it appears you are spot on. Without going into a lot of detail, it was definitely a "fit" issue that required I move the Pro seat about 1/2" forward.
Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out for you! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts