Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the two models. Both are on really good end-of-model-year sales. I can get a new F55 for $1350 or a F35 for $1599. Is it worth the extra money to buy the F35? If so, tell me why.

Here are the biggest differences between the two models:

-Kinesium frame with carbon seat stays (F35) vs. 7005 with carbon seat stays (F55)
-Carbon/alloy handlebars (F35) vs. alloy handlebars (F55).
-Crankset is FSA SL-K MegaExo or Truvativ Rouleur (F35) vs. FSA SLK monocoque carbon crank w/compact drive (F55)
-BB set is FSA MegaExo (F35) vs. PowerPro sealed hallow CrMo ISIS (F55)
-Brakes are Dura-Ace (F35) vs. Tektro RX20G (F55)
-Rims are Velomax Circuit (F35) vs. Velomax Vista SL (F55)

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I really can't comment too much on the F35, but I ride the F55. Not sure exactly how many miles, but into the thousands of miles. The bike has had 0 problems after the first couple of tune ups that were required to get the compact crank to shift smoothly. On the first ride after purchasing it I started to hammer down a level to see how well the bike would sprint and the chain dumped almost immediately and me and the bike went all over the place but somehow didn't crash. It took two attempts to get the chain to stay put through playing with the rear DR. After that it has been smooth and fantastic for the mountain climbing I do around here (live in the Sierras). The bike sprints very well and is very nimble. The wheels have come out of true twice on me (I'm 175lbs) after hitting very rough crappy roads. The brakes work fine once you replace the pads with Quick Stops. They burned out after about 1000 miles of descending the hills around here, but the mechanics of them work great. Handlebar is nothing special and I would like to eventually replace it with something different. The Durace drivetrain appears to work fine with the compact drive and shifts smooth as hot butter. BB is fine nothing special. Bike with pedals weighs in around 17.5 pounds.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Get the F35.

The wheels and brakes make it worth the extra $250. If you got the F55, you would likely end up throwing out the Tektro brakes and buying Dura-Ace or Ultegra brakes anyways.

Try to get the F35 with the FSA SLK crank - it's pretty sweet.

Also, the 05 F35 looks pretty good in the raw aluminum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts