Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
oh boy, you had to mention motobecane

Basically what is going to happen next is that this one guy is going to tell you that Bikedirect is the best and that everyone else will lie to you. They others will tell you to buy from your local bike shop and then people will debate over this.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The bikes look pretty comparable in frame material and components. I'm not sure which has the better wheels. If the prices were comparable or the Schwinn only slightly higher I would choose the Schwinn. If the Schwinn were substantially higher (at least $400-500) I would choose the Bikesdirect bike. As a frame of reference I am very happy with my BD bike purchase almost a year ago.

·
Racial Profiler
371 Posts
akeelor said:
If you were to consider the purchase of one of these 2 bikes, only taking into consideration their specs, which would it be? Assume the same price, which they are after discounts. Pros and cons?
Looking at the specs, I think that they are the exact same bike. In all reality they are probably manufactured about 100 feet away from each other. I guess it comes down to whether you want a sloping or traditional top tube, and which wheelset you prefer.

I owned one of the last pre-bankruptcy Schwinn fastbacks, and have a Moto. They are both light, and handle well. I did not have problems with either one.

LIfelover said:
3. There are a fair number of reports of the moto frame failing.
Where?

·
Registered
543 Posts
akeelor said:
Interesting frank response from a happy BD customer. What may I ask gives the edge ( for you) to the Schwinn at the same cost as the Moto?
At the end of the day the Schwinn is a more well known name and assuming you are getting it from a more well known vendor would be for me the better choice. Not that is a more well made frame. They are probably both made in the same factory in China or one across town. But the prices would have to be comparable to make that decision. I have over 1600 miles on my BD bike in less than a year and haven't had any problems. One of my concerns was when I brought my bike in for adjustments the LBS would have an attitude since I got an inexpensive bike on the internet. But so far that is not the case. I've been treated well to both shops I've been to. But again that would apply to either the Schwinn or BD bike that was purchased online. There are a lot of LBS in my area and they seem to value whatever business they can get.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Well, the specs give the Schwinn a slight edge. Full carbon rear, not just seatstays. Carbon steerer on the fork. Carbon compact crankset. Carbon seatpost. Better tires. The Moto also does not say what bars or chain come on it.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,894 Posts
I'm prejudiced

The easy answer to get the bike that fits you the best. Other than that I vote for the Schwinn. I have owned and own several Schwinns (pre-bankruptcies and post-bankruptcies).

Motobecane? They're French, right? I hate the French. The only time I would go back to France would be to crap on some Frenchman's lawn.

·
Registered
707 Posts
jtolleson said:
Well, the specs give the Schwinn a slight edge. Full carbon rear, not just seatstays. Carbon steerer on the fork. Carbon compact crankset. Carbon seatpost. Better tires. The Moto also does not say what bars or chain come on it.
Moto says Ritchey BioMax II bars.

The Ritchey Protocols are great wheels, are the Schwinn wheels actually Rolf wheels? Nevermind, Gipiemme is just a licensee.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
JaeP said:
Motobecane? They're French, right? I hate the French. The only time I would go back to France would be to crap on some Frenchman's lawn.
About as French as Ford. Motobecane is an American brand made in the Far East. The company has no link to the original French Motobecane from the 80's & 90's. If you want to insult a nation and it's people, at least get your facts right!

·
Registered
707 Posts
ultimobici said:
About as French as Ford. Motobecane is an American brand made in the Far East. The company has no link to the original French Motobecane from the 80's & 90's. If you want to insult a nation and it's people, at least get your facts right!
Hey, that's just like Schwinn, pretending to be an American brand owned by a company in the Far East, with no link to the original American company except the name.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
I would go for the Schwinn. They seem to ge giving you better value on the frame and fork. Note the fork on the Schwinn has a carbon fiber steerer. The one on the Moto is aluminum.

Plus I've been passed by guys on Schwinn Fastbacks but never someone on a Motobecane.

·
Banned
476 Posts
how does this matter??

il sogno said:
I would go for the Schwinn. They seem to ge giving you better value on the frame and fork. Note the fork on the Schwinn has a carbon fiber steerer. The one on the Moto is aluminum.

Plus I've been passed by guys on Schwinn Fastbacks but never someone on a Motobecane.

if you were passed buy a Huffy - would you buy one??

on features - the carbon streeer is nice -- but Ritchey WCS Protocal wheels are very nice
but bikes seem like very good deals compared to what you get in a bike shop for $1200

·
Banned
13 Posts
I just got a le champ SL on Thurs.

I am happy with my purchase. Would AC 420s be better wheels?

the SL does have a Carbon fork tube....

Not really a recommendation, as I have heard good things about the schwinn...just thought I would offer my info. the SL really is superlight....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Can you cite those reports of frame failures? This is the first mention I've heard of that, and since my life depends on this frame staying in one piece, I'd like to see these reports to know if there are some unusual circumstances, or if I should start shopping for a new frame.

·
Registered
707 Posts
imetis said:
Can you cite those reports of frame failures? This is the first mention I've heard of that, and since my life depends on this frame staying in one piece, I'd like to see these reports to know if there are some unusual circumstances, or if I should start shopping for a new frame.
Don't expect to see any of those reports, Lifeover will not be able to produce them, as they just don't exist.

Most of the frames used in the Motobecane line are made by Kinesis in Taiwan. This is the same factory that produces most of the frames for Fuji, and others. Unless he can also produce reports of Fuji frames failing I'm sure that he is just repeating what someone with little or no knowledge said before him. I have looked for reports of Kinesis frame failures, and can't find any. If I am wrong then he will produce those reports and I will apologize.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.