Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a bike and have the choice between a pair of 06 centaur shifters or 08 centaur shifters. Both are brand new, the '06 is pre-QS and can dump multiple cogs and the '08 has the carbon levers.

I have a non-QS chorus compact front derailleur. Which shifters should I choose?
Thanks

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
gradosu said:
I am building up a bike and have the choice between a pair of 06 centaur shifters or 08 centaur shifters. Both are brand new, the '06 is pre-QS and can dump multiple cogs and the '08 has the carbon levers.

I have a non-QS chorus compact front derailleur. Which shifters should I choose?
Thanks
I'd go for the 06s myself.

To each their own--I like the multi-cog actions--as well as the fact that in this day where everything is getting made out of CF, ANY alloy part is a nice contrast. Being Campy gives extra class also.

As I said to each their own.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rideorglide said:
I wasn;t faced with an either or choice like you, but I went for the Chorus shifters to go with my Centaur grouppo and love 'em. I've always had multi-dump and wouldn't settle for less. The Chorus was treat for an interface that you handle and use all the time.

This is my first campy bike and being able to dump the cassette sounds like a big plus to me.

·
Banned
270 Posts
I'll have to check , but i'm pretty sure you can't dump w/ centaur . I have a full chorss on one bike and chorus shifter w/ centaur everything else on another . I got the chorus shifters because I heard that the ability to dump was not a feature of the centaur shifters

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
I'll have to check , but i'm pretty sure you can't dump w/ centaur . I have a full chorss on one bike and chorus shifter w/ centaur everything else on another . I got the chorus shifters because I heard that the ability to dump was not a feature of the centaur shifters
It used to be. Hint hint :)

I like my old 05 Centaurs for just that reason :cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe 2006 was the last year before QS where centaur had similar internals to chorus and record and was able to dump the cassette. The new 'escape-mechanism' is what the new centaur and veloce use

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David Loving said:
I refuse to go to QS. All mine are pre QS, probably 05 or 06. I like that alloy look,too.
What makes the new shifters so bad? The QS or the escape mechanism? with the new shifters you can shift through the cogs just as fas,t it just takes more thumb clicks right?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got

record on one bike and centaur on another & i'm not sure being able to dump a bunch is that big a deal. for me, when i crest a hill i shift one at a time to keep my spin smooth & don't want to grind out a big gear right away. that's just me, though.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

gradosu said:
What makes the new shifters so bad? The QS or the escape mechanism? with the new shifters you can shift through the cogs just as fas,t it just takes more thumb clicks right?
The escape mechanism limits the thumb button to one click at a time and by Campy's official opinion, there is no left (thumb button) trim click of the FD from the big ring. Unofficially, you can push on the finger lever and then the thumb button tod get a left trim movment. Sounds awkward to me.

QS only applies to the left shifter and allows it to engage the shift cable sooner. That is an improvement. A QS FD require on more click to cover the normal range of travel (4 instead of 3) , but require a bit less effort to actuate.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
gradosu said:
I'm not saying they are bad. I am just satisfied with the way mine work, and refuse to consider the QS an upgrade. I have "old" carbon chorus ergo and black-out front der on my #1 road bike and there is no way the QS improves the shifting with that bike. It shifts great. The rear cassette shifting couldn't do better either. I realize they have to keep changing gear for sales, etc. I just have everything the way I like it, that's all. I guess Campy just answered a question I didn't ask.:thumbsup:

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
gradosu said:
I believe 2006 was the last year before QS where centaur had similar internals to chorus and record and was able to dump the cassette. The new 'escape-mechanism' is what the new centaur and veloce use
2006 Centaur was the last year without QS and full dumping ability.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
gradosu said:
What do people mean when they talk about campy shifters 'breaking in'?
the basic shifting system is made of a ratchet wheel and "G" springs that are tensioned into the notches of the ratchet. This is a metal to metal contact and as such the smoothness/ease of the shift increases after a measure of use.

Basically the indexing strength of the shifter breaks down over around 10000 miles of use. At that time you replace the "G" springs with a couple new ones for around $8 and you get that tight indexed feel all over again. When those springs where out you "spring" for a new ratchet wheel for around $15 with your next set of $8 "G" springs, and voila new feel yet again.

The spring carrier may also need replacing at some point... you can see the crack in mine pictured below.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
gradosu said:
After using the shifters for a bit, does the thumb button becomes less stiff? It seems like you would do a lot of over shifting with the thumb accidentially
here is a thread I posted some good pictures on.. http://www.serotta.com/forum/showpost.php?p=471728&postcount=1

Good observation... when you begin to overshift with your thumb shifter, that may be a good sign that your "G" springs may need replacing. As a Campy user, I will admit it is easier to overshift with the thumb than with the main lever, but after a very short amount of use you get a feel for it to where it would happen very rarely.

On the flipside, the new Quick Shift "Escape" function allows only one shift per thumb cycle. I (don't tell anyone) actually really like the QS function on Centaur and below. I have a newer set of Veloce shifters and the shift mechanism feels very good. I would imagine some may prefer its function in cyclocross when your hands are frozen or heavily gloved and you don't have quite the same touch as in normal road riding.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been playing around with the new QS centaur shifters ( haven't built the bike quite yet) and the thumb shifting seems to only need a very light amount of force. Is it the same pressure when it has tension from the derailleur cable? Also, how does QS shifters work with pre-QS front derailler?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
gradosu said:
I've been playing around with the new QS centaur shifters ( haven't built the bike quite yet) and the thumb shifting seems to only need a very light amount of force. Is it the same pressure when it has tension from the derailleur cable? Also, how does QS shifters work with pre-QS front derailler?
It feels pretty slick, doesn't it? The push will feel almost identical when hooked up, but the release will feel more positive and crisp due to the tension in the derailleur cables.

I am using my QS Veloce shifters with a pre-QS Chorus FD and Veloce RD with no ill effect whatsoever.

IMHO... you are really going to like your set up and won't feel like you are missing anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.