Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pair of the 06 Ventos. Good old 11speed.com meant I got them for under $200 including shipping. I bought them because I have a pair of the 2004 Ventos which were tanks, but have been great for training.

The 06 are much lighter and look great, BUT, Just a little FYI about the 06: it used to be impossible to mount tires on Campy rims. They fixed that problem with the 2004 Ventos, but it's back. Bummer, otherwise these would be great training wheels.

Can anyone suggest a good training tire that's easy to mount? Maxxis and Conti 300s have been a fight to mount.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
I have an easier time with wire-ons -- Vittoria Rubino, etc, than with folding beads. It's still not easy.

Definitely don't use the green michelin rimstrip. Don't recall if the '06 ventos need one...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
I've found that Maxxis tires (Hors Categorie, anyway) are a doddle to mount. Much easier than Michelin. As a bonus, the Hors Categorie are much more confidence inspiring in the rain than Michelin Carbons.

I'm going to give the Columbieres, the Courchevals, the Detonators, and the Equipe Legeres a whirl so's I can get a feel for the rest of the range I be interested in.

FWIW puncture resistance in the Hors Categorie seemed on par w/ Michelin Carbons.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alienator said:
I've found that Maxxis tires (Hors Categorie, anyway) are a doddle to mount. Much easier than Michelin. As a bonus, the Hors Categorie are much more confidence inspiring in the rain than Michelin Carbons.

I'm going to give the Columbieres, the Courchevals, the Detonators, and the Equipe Legeres a whirl so's I can get a feel for the rest of the range I be interested in.

FWIW puncture resistance in the Hors Categorie seemed on par w/ Michelin Carbons.
I really like the Columbieres. They have a good feel, they're "predictable" (meaning they don't all of a sudden lock-up and skid on you), they seem to have pretty good durability, and they seem pretty resistant to flats. These are what I have on the Ventos now. I'll try a new rim strip (they came with a 'Campy' rim stip that is, I'm guessing, a re-badged Michelin) to see if it makes mounting them easier.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
euro-trash said:
I really like the Columbieres. They have a good feel, they're "predictable" (meaning they don't all of a sudden lock-up and skid on you), they seem to have pretty good durability, and they seem pretty resistant to flats. These are what I have on the Ventos now. I'll try a new rim strip (they came with a 'Campy' rim stip that is, I'm guessing, a re-badged Michelin) to see if it makes mounting them easier.
I went to the local Maxxis dealer today and decided that the Columbieres are gonna be the next treads on my wheels. For some Colorado rides this summer, I'm gonna give the Courchevals a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts