Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS has an 07 Centaur group that has gray non-skeleton brakes, gray rear derailer and alloy shifters. I thought the 07 Centaur group was skeleton brakes, carbon shifters and derailers. Is this really a 2007 group? If it is should it be cheaper than the carbon and skeleton brake version. I also cant seem to find informationabout this tyoe of group online.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
fah35 said:
My LBS has an 07 Centaur group that has gray non-skeleton brakes, gray rear derailer and alloy shifters. I thought the 07 Centaur group was skeleton brakes, carbon shifters and derailers. Is this really a 2007 group? If it is should it be cheaper than the carbon and skeleton brake version. I also cant seem to find informationabout this tyoe of group online.
That's an 06 group best case. 07 was UT with carbon levers, skeleton brakes, and no gray. Nothing wrong with any of it, I have silver 06 Centaur levers on my road bike. It should be discounted and definately not advertised as 07.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I am getting a Time Edge built up. My LBS is giving me Alloy shifters, Gray brakes,rear derailer,front derailer, chain, cassette, cables, labor for $400. Is this a good deal? I know Campy is coming out with 09 Centaur. This would make it second generation. The goup will be 4 years old. The current Centaur group has carbon levers, skeleton brakes and the escape mechanism. What would be a good price for these parts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
fah35 said:
Thanks for the information. I am getting a Time Edge built up. My LBS is giving me Alloy shifters, Gray brakes,rear derailer,front derailer, chain, cassette, cables, labor for $400. Is this a good deal? I know Campy is coming out with 09 Centaur. This would make it second generation. The goup will be 4 years old. The current Centaur group has carbon levers, skeleton brakes and the escape mechanism. What would be a good price for these parts?
That sounds like a good price - that generation of Centaur works well. The grey finish looks nice IMO but when it rubs off the silver Al color shows through (a common problem with non-silver finishes).
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
fah35 said:
Thanks for the information. I am getting a Time Edge built up. My LBS is giving me Alloy shifters, Gray brakes,rear derailer,front derailer, chain, cassette, cables, labor for $400. Is this a good deal? I know Campy is coming out with 09 Centaur. This would make it second generation. The goup will be 4 years old. The current Centaur group has carbon levers, skeleton brakes and the escape mechanism. What would be a good price for these parts?
That is a good price for the parts plus labor. What about the cranket? The 06 and earlier centaur IMO had a poor bottom bracket. Although it will silver, the 07 and newer centaur alloy cranksets are nice. The UT setup is easy and has been very durable for me (6'1" and 225).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigbill said:
That is a good price for the parts plus labor. What about the cranket? The 06 and earlier centaur IMO had a poor bottom bracket. Although it will silver, the 07 and newer centaur alloy cranksets are nice. The UT setup is easy and has been very durable for me (6'1" and 225).
The price is without the crankset. I was thinking of buying a Veloce UT crankset fro, Excel since the 07 is on sale. If you don't mind me asking what was wrong with the older Centaur crankset. I saw an old centaur crankset on sale at nashbar with the gray finish. Ithought it would look nice matching the other components.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
fah35 said:
The price is without the crankset. I was thinking of buying a Veloce UT crankset fro, Excel since the 07 is on sale. If you don't mind me asking what was wrong with the older Centaur crankset. I saw an old centaur crankset on sale at nashbar with the gray finish. Ithought it would look nice matching the other components.
Nothing wrong with the 04-06 crankset, but the bottom bracket is weak compared to the rest of the group. There is a good reason why there are so many of those cranksets for sale.

You really can't go wrong with a UT crankset. The difference between veloce and centaur is the chainrings. They are a little nicer on the centaur alloy. If you look at the campy website, you will see that all the UT cranksets use the same bearings. Moving up from veloce through record, you are getting lighter arms and nicer rings, but the durability will be the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
There is nothing weak or wrong with with the old square taper Veloce BBs other than weight-I have used them for years without any maintenance.The AC-H BB has smoother bearings with less resistance than the new Ultra-Torque outboard bearing system.The new BB system may be more rigid but I have not felt the old square taper BB/crankset combination to be excessively flexy.One thing for sure-the new Romanian manufactured Centaur cranks/BB are about three times the price of a closeout Italian Centaur/Veloce square taper combination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
bigbill said:
Nothing wrong with the 04-06 crankset, but the bottom bracket is weak compared to the rest of the group. There is a good reason why there are so many of those cranksets for sale.

You really can't go wrong with a UT crankset. The difference between veloce and centaur is the chainrings. They are a little nicer on the centaur alloy. If you look at the campy website, you will see that all the UT cranksets use the same bearings. Moving up from veloce through record, you are getting lighter arms and nicer rings, but the durability will be the same.
To clarify, there are two Campy 111mm bottom brackets that will fit the Centaur double crankset. The Centaur BB I don't have much experience with, but the AC-H (aka Veloce,Mirage, etc) is heavy but bombproof so far and spins really well.

The downside to the AC-H is the 6 divot installation and removal method. It is a PITA compared to the dual cassette/BB tool adapter thing.

If you really want my opinion, I would suggest picking up a Centaur crankset in matching Century finish for peanuts... Performance Bike has the standard 53/39 in 170 and a 50/34 in 172.5 for $69.99. Ebay also has them cheap.
(http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24562&estore_ID=115 or http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24560&estore_ID=115)

If you are at all leary about either bottom bracket, you can pony up for a Phil Wood and not have any worries at all. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
handsomerob, Your info above about the Campy tapered BB options is just what I was looking for. I have a question or two. First, what is it you mean about the AC-H is the 6 divot installation and removal method? Will I need a different tool from the standard Park BB/ cassette tool? Also, when I look at the listings for the 111mm BB it makes a reference to the size of the seat tube and states "111mm is for use with double and triple cranks with seat tubes smaller than 34.9mm. For 34.9/35.0mm seat tubes, use the 115.5 Veloce".

My seat tube measurement varies above and below 35mm depending on where I measure it. What do I look for and why is the size of the seat tube a factor? Are they really looking at the inside diameter?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
chas0039 said:
handsomerob, Your info above about the Campy tapered BB options is just what I was looking for. I have a question or two. First, what is it you mean about the AC-H is the 6 divot installation and removal method? Will I need a different tool from the standard Park BB/ cassette tool? Also, when I look at the listings for the 111mm BB it makes a reference to the size of the seat tube and states "111mm is for use with double and triple cranks with seat tubes smaller than 34.9mm. For 34.9/35.0mm seat tubes, use the 115.5 Veloce".

My seat tube measurement varies above and below 35mm depending on where I measure it. What do I look for and why is the size of the seat tube a factor? Are they really looking at the inside diameter?

Thanks
the AC-H does require a special tool. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk//images/products/fagbbtoolbig_xl.jpg

as far as the spindle length for different seat tubes goes... I believe that for fatter seat tubes like those that require a 35mm clamp front derailleur, the Q factor has to be slightly increased (crankset moved outwards) because the front derailleur cage needs the room to "pull" the chain inward onto the small chain ring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
Just to provide some acurate info for anyone else reading this series of posts, here is what the details are.

The 111mm bottom bracket is for double cranksets on 28.6mm-32mm-35mm seat tubes. It will have a chain line of 43.5mm. It is also for triples on a 28.6mm seat tube and will have a 45mm chain line.
The 115.5mm bottom bracket is for triple cranks on 32mm-35mm seat tubes and will result in a 47.5mm chain line.

I have seen a number of web sites where they sort of have this information. In one case the missing comma would lead you to believe that when you get to a 35mm seat tube, any crank should be the 115.5 BB, not just the triple. I must have found 2-3 people that also read this wrong and gave me wrong advice. When I got transferred to the Campy expert they were clear that for my case, a double crank, it is always a 111mm BB. I also double checked the Campy instruction sheet website and found the above data.

Thanks for all your help guys, I am glad to get this cleared up before all my parts were shipped and as I have exactly a 43.5mm chainline with the double I have now this is reassuring.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top