Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I should PROBABLY just ride what I got but here goes anyway..

Two weeks ago I picked up my first road bike in a '07 Trek 1500. Overall seems to be a good bike and will probably do everything that I will need it to do. I've tuned it up and the first upgrades I did were swap the stock tires, brakes and saddle out and I've put on around 100 miles and seems to ride well.

Though... I'm always one who meddles with a good thing, so just keeping an eye out I found a '04 Trek 2100 with the ZR Al and OCLV seat stays for $500 ($50 less than what I paid for my 1500). Is the frame upgrade worth it especially if I'm looking to do some centuries in the future? The actual components are a downgrade from what my 1500 has but I'm wondering if the frame upgrade is worth getting it and reselling the 1500. The funny thing is out of the new bikes that I've tried I like the C'dale Synapse the most and will probably try and pick up a used '09 if I can ever find one. Anyway, here's the specs:

'04 Trek 2100:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2004/archive/2100

'07 Trek 1500: Though I do have the Ultegra crank and rear derailer and the brakes are Cane Creek SCR-3's
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2007/archive/1500

Basically the geometries are the same (slightly in favor of the 2100 due to the slacker seat post angle by .5 degree) but overall fit seems like they'd be the same overall. So in the end is it worth it to pick up the 'nicer' frame and resell the 1500? I know I should ride them first and see what I think, but that's the problem with out of production bikes... thanks for any input!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
It's used right?

What's the condition of it like? Do you like how it looks? Are you unhappy with your current bike and if so, why?

It's got carbon seat stays (the 2100) but I can't say whether it'd even make a difference honestly but if I had to just put it out there, nope, barely any difference.

Better tires and a lower pressure would make for a more comfortable ride than inserting carbon seat stays instead of aluminum.

I ride a full carbon TTX but the ride can either be one that strives to break my wrist and knock my teeth out or a smooth sailing one. Why? For the former, I just need to use my current front wheel with the front tire that's not even to put it simply and I can't stand the ride and want to get the hell off the bike.

If I swap out the front wheel with my road bike, the ride becomes totally different.

The choice is yours though but if it were my money, I'd use that $500 (assuming it won't be used for savings instead) for a variety of options : new shoes, new jersey/bibs, gloves, stem/handlebars perhaps even or work towards getting a new groupset maybe.

It's not that much of a step up honestly. Sure, it has more carbon.

I'm not saying carbon is a bad thing etc since both my bikes are carbon fiber. All I'm saying is that, the addition of carbon stays vs. aluminum ones - nothing that you could probably feel if you're expecting the new bike to be 'better.'

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
04 was about the time I was trying to buy a bike. I test rode both the 1500 and 2100. I did not like the ride of the 1500 at all. The 2100 was much better IMO. The 1500 was the bike I really wanted ( price & looks ) until I rode it. I was so disappointed with the ride of the 1500 that it totally changed my idea of what kind of bike I wanted. I wound up with a steel Colnago. I'm not saying the 1500 is a bad bike. In fact I think it's a lot of bike for the money. It just wasn't for me. I would have been happy with the 2100.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I say save your money and buy some good accessories or new wheels. It'll make a huge difference in your riding. I don't think I would sink another $500 into another older bike at this point. But, that's just me...

Todd

·
Registered
75 Posts
you could always buy the 2100 and take the good componets off the 1500 and then sell the 1500 with all the stuff you dont want

that said it's just going to give you something to do I dont think its going to make a whole lot of difference in the ride

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both are used. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Trek 1500, just wondering if there's really a much better ride in the 2100 as I went over some rough pavement the other day and could see how it would really get to me if I consistently had to go over it over a long ride. Looks like I'll save my money and possibly invest in a wheel set for the 1500 once I turn out some more miles on it. Though if the 2100 rides anything like the Trek 2.1 I'm not sure I'd like it as I actually preferred the ride of the Trek 1.5 over the 2.1 Go figure! Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're thinking too much. Keep the 1500 and after a few thousand miles go out and get a Madone. This time next next year you could find a solid used Madone or even perhaps a new leftover one on closeout (there are actually couple in my area on sale). Then you'll have two bikes, one for the rain, snow/salt, and another for sunny days. Now that would be an upgrade!

I have both a 2100 and a 5.2 Madone - love them both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts