Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
08 Madone 5.2 Rider
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been discussed in detail before, please accept my apologies.

After not riding a road bike in 10 years or so, I stopped by the LBS yesterday for a third time to make a list of things to sort out before ordering a new 5.2. It occurred to me that I need some help in deciding whether to go with a 5.2 triple or not. Any advantages/disadvantages to that?:confused:

Also, I am somewhat intimidated about the Speedplay clipless pedals. I have always worn toe clips/straps with never a problem. Not to say I couldn't get used to them, but I am not sure I relish the idea of the "timber!" re-enactment at stops. I also like having shoes I can walk around in without having to pack them with me. So, I dunno...any thoughts out there on that would be helpful as well.

Best regards,

dave

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think you can safely go with a compact double. I came out of a triple on my 2300 and live in a very hilly area. I never used the smallest cog in the front and my double gives me just about the same range of gearing that my triple did with less weight and much crisper shifting.

As far as the Speedplays, trust me when I say that it is far easier to get out of the pedal in an emergency situation as well as normal riding compared to straps. Strap can be very dangerous if you get caught up in them and that invariably happens. The reason for clipless pedals is to give the rider a more efficient pedal stroke. You are now pedaling all the way through the stroke, both up and down as opposed to only pedaling on the down stroke in conventional pedals. Point is, you must use clipless pedals if you want to be efficient and get the most out of your new 5.2. Just take a few minutes in a parking lot to practice getting in and out of your clipless pedals, you will get the hang of it in 5 minutes and will never look back.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Dave -

Getting out of the Speedplays involves nothing more than turning your heel to the outside. As soon as you turn your heel, you're out, that simple. As I've said in the past, In over 5000 miles on Speedplays, I have yet to come out accidentally and have never fallen over standing still as I've seen people do in other clipless pedals. Easy in, easy out.

By the way, I use Sidi MTB shoes, so the cleat is recessed and I can walk around in my shoes without clomping around. I also don't chew up the cleat, so don't have to spend the money replacing them a couple times of a year.

·
08 Madone 5.2 Rider
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
08Madone5.2 said:
Dave -

Getting out of the Speedplays involves nothing more than turning your heel to the outside. As soon as you turn your heel, you're out, that simple. As I've said in the past, In over 5000 miles on Speedplays, I have yet to come out accidentally and have never fallen over standing still as I've seen people do in other clipless pedals. Easy in, easy out.

By the way, I use Sidi MTB shoes, so the cleat is recessed and I can walk around in my shoes without clomping around. I also don't chew up the cleat, so don't have to spend the money replacing them a couple times of a year.
Ahhh...MTB Shoes! I tried on a pair of the Sidi Genius 5 yesterday but I can see my busting my a** just walking around and hate to think what would happen just putting my foot down at a stop. Coming from years of commuting on both Harleys and BMWs, I am paranoid at dropping a motorcycle for the same reason.

So, now to check out the MTB shoes, thanks!:thumbsup:

dave

·
Registered
503 Posts
I hope you understand al the points I'm making regarding the Speedplays, Crank, shoes etc... I'm trying to help you have a positive experience here. It is my exact setup, And I really love everything about it, makes my cycling experiences very safe, efficient and enjoyable.

·
Registered
503 Posts
jsedlak said:
Frogs?

P.S. I went with Shimano 6620s. Needless to say I am very nervous abot them since I just recently snapped a pedal on my current steel bike. Which was most likely because of age (25yo bike/pedals) but who knows...
I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, I'm just telling you what my setup is. If you're nervous with your choice, you may have made the wrong choice. Look into your options.

·
Registered
503 Posts
dave gt -

Better buy a new Madone soon! Check this out if you need a push to pull the trigger!!

"Two of the world's largest suppliers of carbon fiber have announced that they are raising their prices. And not by a little, either, with the going rate for the high-tech material rising by 10 to 30 percent in one shot."

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
08Madone: Do you know who the suppliers were? I suppose this will directly effect Trek in general and also with it's foreign carbon (TCT) manufacturing. But I have not heard this with respect to their supplier for US produced carbon used in the OCLV process. But you may have better info than me, I just haven't read that yet.

hoping it's not so :(
zac

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks, I just checked myself, don't know how I missed that. It was announced last week on the 29th: a 12% energy surcharge on all continental orders. This will include Treks OCLV and all net molded fittings.

BTW, as you may know, Trek uses US produced carbon for its OCLV as well as the precision net molded sockets. With the dollar being as weak as it is, Hexcel may be able to stay on the low end of the "energy increases" as they have many global customers.

zac

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Madone,

I went back and reread the posts... I think we managed to confuse each other.

By "Frogs?" I meant, "What are Frogs?" Anyways, as I said my choice has nothing to do with the nervousness. Although should I be worried? lol My nervousnosity comes from the fact that my other pedals have snapped and it wasn't a very pleasant experience. I consider my steel bike to be somewhat of a tank. It may not be fast, but it will last. I just don't have any firsthand experience with the new light materials/bikes so I am a bit nervous of trashing a $4000 bike.

·
Registered
503 Posts
jsedlak said:
Madone,

I went back and reread the posts... I think we managed to confuse each other.

By "Frogs?" I meant, "What are Frogs?" Anyways, as I said my choice has nothing to do with the nervousness. Although should I be worried? lol My nervousnosity comes from the fact that my other pedals have snapped and it wasn't a very pleasant experience. I consider my steel bike to be somewhat of a tank. It may not be fast, but it will last. I just don't have any firsthand experience with the new light materials/bikes so I am a bit nervous of trashing a $4000 bike.
No confusion here. Another poster mentioned he used the heavy duty frogs and I replied that I did too. I am confused as to why you think you might "trash a $4000 bike." If you managed to damage your Trek OCLV frame, they do have a lifetime warranty on it, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.