Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between the Elite vs the Comp, but I am having trouble justifying the $600 difference. I realize the wheels are different, and brakes and rear derailleur are different, but is this actually a $600 difference? It just doesn't add up for me after pricing the differences out. Can anyone shed some light? Is it worth the bucks to step up to the Comp?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know where you live, but if you are in the US, the price difference is $450 (Specialized website)

I had a similar decision earlier, but it was between the Comp and the Expert. Expert won and I have been happy with it. Is this first bike, or an upgrade?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
IMO the heart of the bike, the frameset, is the same so you can't go too far wrong with either choice. But there are more differences than you mention, and as jrosteck pointed out, in the US there's a $450 difference in price.

Not that it's a biggie, but the stem is a different model on the Comp. The brakes are upgraded to 105's, the wheels to Shimano and the crankset to Shimano 105 - probably the most noteworthy upgrade, IMO.

I was in the same position with my Tarmac. Every situation is different, but my decision was made more on the fact that I got the Comp for $2,150, so the upgrades were worth it for that price. Actually, I was more focused on the differences between the Comp and Expert, but it being my first CF bike, I liked the $2,000 +/- pricepoint.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jrosteck said:
I don't know where you live, but if you are in the US, the price difference is $450 (Specialized website)

I had a similar decision earlier, but it was between the Comp and the Expert. Expert won and I have been happy with it. Is this first bike, or an upgrade?

I guess my math isn't what it used to be - my mistake! This is an upgrade - I have been riding a 1986 Schwinn SuperSport faithfully up to 10 years ago, and than I started to peeter out. I want to start riding regularly again, but felt it was time and I certainly got my moneys worth out of the Schwinn. Either one would definitely be an upgrade.

·
bike paths are gnar
64 Posts
solid

I had pretty much ruled out the 2008 roubaix elite, I wanted ultegra and was a little luke warm on the generic brakes. Was focused squarely on the comp, much better wheelset, 105 brakes and ultegra rear derllr......

Was going to pull the plug on a comp until I came across a leftover brand new 2005 roubaix elite, ultegra 9spd derllr, ultegra shifters and 105 brakes and front derllr. I will upgrade the wheelset, likely to easton 70's soon....

Love it.

The 2008 roubaix comp is a great bike....not that it matters any but I love the carbon and red look with the white seat and handlebar tape.....very, very sharp:thumbsup:

Nice bike and requires nothing upgraded for a recreational rider IMO.

Solid choice and good luck!

I could have grabbed the comp locally for $2k BTW, funny how different markets have different prices.....I paid a lot less for the 2005 elite double...

The LBS still has one leftover 2005 elite left in a 56, unfort (IMO) tho it is triple....

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
ptf said:
well - I pulled the trigger on the Comp, got it for 2200.00 which made it a no-brainer. Glad I did - now if it only would stop raining...
Congrats on your new ride!! :thumbsup:
I can relate to the comment on the weather. We've been getting hammered with T-Storms almost none stop for two weeks. :mad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
ptf said:
well - I pulled the trigger on the Comp, got it for 2200.00 which made it a no-brainer. Glad I did - now if it only would stop raining...
Heh, same here, I just got one this past Saturday, epic fun so far. After you've ridden yours a few times, update this thread and let me know what you think of the saddle, if you don't mind.

Maybe it's just me, but my Toupe makes me feel like I'm sitting on a concrete slab...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hiah said:
Heh, same here, I just got one this past Saturday, epic fun so far. After you've ridden yours a few times, update this thread and let me know what you think of the saddle, if you don't mind.

Maybe it's just me, but my Toupe makes me feel like I'm sitting on a concrete slab...

will do - I am assuming you are wearing padded shorts. When I test rode the first time ,without padding, it was quite the pain in the ass.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ptf said:
will do - I am assuming you are wearing padded shorts. When I test rode the first time ,without padding, it was quite the pain in the ass.
Oh yea, I'm wearing cycling shorts with a chamois. I don't think I could stand riding in regular clothes, I imagine it would feel like a bandsaw going over your skin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hiah said:

just to follow up - I agree with you that the Toupe feels like concrete for the first mile, but after that I settle in just fine, although, I haven't rode more than 25 miles yet in one sitting. I always heard that there is a break in period for saddles, and I wonder if the more you ride, the better it will feel. Also, given the style of saddle, there is a trade off between weight and comfort. I am sure you could find more plusher saddles, but you probably give up a tad of performance.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I always heard that there is a break in period for saddles, and I wonder if the more you ride, the better it will feel.
It's not the saddle breaking in, but your butt getting accustomed to it. Are you new to road cycling? If so, sitting on any road saddle is going to hurt for the first 3 or 4 weeks until you toughen up. At least that was the case for me. And my saddle of choice is a Toupe, which I routinely put 300+ miles on per week. In my experience, a pair of shorts that fit well with a high-quality chamois and a seat that fits your butt correctly is going to be more important than just adding some cushioning to a saddle. I don't even like the "gel" Toupes and still use the 'classic,' non-gel version on two of my bikes.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
ptf said:
hey - does anyone know the weight difference between a stock Elite vs Comp Roubaix? I am guessing the Comp is around 18lbs - is the Elite also in the 18 lb range?
In general, the respective Roubaix models weigh more than their Tarmac counterparts. The 2008 Tarmac Comp weighs in at 18.5 (per a bike mag test - Cycling plus, I think), so I'd guess the Roubaix Comp goes .5 lbs. +/- more. IIRC, someone posted that their Roubaix Expert weighed 18.5, but a search would confirm that. Again, comparing Tarmacs, the Comp and Elite (strange as it may seem) weigh very close to the same. That may also apply to the Roubaix Comp and Elite.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.