Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the 08 Specialized back in 09 when I was training for a 5 hour endurance motorcycle race, but since then I rarely used it till this year.

This year a few of my friends got more involved in road cycling and I found a new ninch to get serious into this sport. I know go on longer rides and really enjoy the outdoors.

I found a 11 Giant Defy Advanced 3 used for $1300 (good deal?) with about 150 miles on it (says the owner). If i were to upgrade my bike to the Shimano 105 series like this one. It would cost well over 400 dollars. Also its a carbon fiber frame over a aluminum frame.

As of right now I commute to work and gym 30+ miles daily, and I ride over 100 miles on the weekends. I know coming from a motorcycle racing background I will eventually want to start competing in road cycling.

What are you guys thoughts? opinions? worthit?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I can't comment on the price with certainty, but sounds reasonable. What I can say is that it looks like you're putting in some serious miles and really enjoying yourself. It's your money, and so long as youre not going into debt, do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"worth it" is always a relative term. From a quick search I did online, $1300 is about $300 off what you can pay for a new one. There can be endless debates about $300 off a two year old bike being "worth it". If you could get that same bike at an LBS that gives great fittings and other value added services, then it might be worth it to purchase that bake new.

However, that is a great bike at a great price and you will not regret purchasing it. Since it sounds like you are going to get a bike regardless, buy it or keep searching for an even better deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
As someone who bought a new defy advanced 3 and had the front fork brek one month in - I would suggest you have the bike looked at for cracks and signs of stress/wear.
In my case Giant was great and swapped out the defective/broken fork for a new one - I get it back today - woohoo!
Good luck w/your new bike - I love mine.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I have an '11 Defy Advanced that I bought new & love it. Last year I rode it from San Diego to Maryland-ocean to ocean. Not a hint of trouble. In fact It's great for long distances & the ride is smooth, smooth, smooth. Last year I rode it coast to coast without an adjustment of any kind. It has over 10,000 miles on it & I've had to adjust the derailleurs a couple of times. That's it. No other issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.