Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

09 rival conundrum

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  MaddSkillz 
#1 ·
So I have a frame/wheels begging to be built up, and I'm getting a rival group through the store I work for. So given that 08 rival is discounted (slightly, like $20 on the shifters and comparable amounts on other stuff) and 09 rival is slightly more expensive than 08 is normally, do you guys think its worth it to wait 3 weeks and get the new stuff? Is zero loss that great? Does anyone know what the total weight loss is?

#2 ·
I'm on the same boat.

lucer0 said:
So I have a frame/wheels begging to be built up, and I'm getting a rival group through the store I work for. So given that 08 rival is discounted (slightly, like $20 on the shifters and comparable amounts on other stuff) and 09 rival is slightly more expensive than 08 is normally, do you guys think its worth it to wait 3 weeks and get the new stuff? Is zero loss that great? Does anyone know what the total weight loss is?

Actually, I'll be helping my friend change the group on his bike soon. We're planning to use '09 Rival as he loved his first ride with my '07. He's been itching to make the leap but we're waiting for the '09.

3 weeks eh? I think we'll wait. :)

Joe

#3 ·
Conundrum...ahhhh c'mon now!

That's not a conundrum.....that's a veritable tear in the space time continuem! =)

If you are crunched for cash you could run '08 derailleurs/brakes/cranks with the '09 levers. Toss in some C-ramic berin's/jockey wheels and voila you'll have created yourself a "Super Rival" gruppo

I've had the '09 Force for several days now, it's prettimus maximus, Egro changes are saweet. Non zero loss and zero loss both move the chinny chain chain to the respective chain ring cogs. For me it's just a different feel, different flavor.

My impression is that the '09 stuff is a little sexier, a little softer on the touchy --- My guess is that '09 will be percieved as easier to set up for those not comfortable in a universe without big-ring trim.

For me it seems the 07/08 stuff was all about dialed precision for intelligent set up, and '09will be a little sexier a little softer for the end user able to handle all the variables individuals will throw at the gruppo. While each individual change doesn't seem that substantial the end result as a whole has a great feel for me.

#7 ·
funhog1 said:
Conundrum...ahhhh c'mon now!

That's not a conundrum.....that's a veritable tear in the space time continuem! =)

If you are crunched for cash you could run '08 derailleurs/brakes/cranks with the '09 levers. Toss in some C-ramic berin's/jockey wheels and voila you'll have created yourself a "Super Rival" gruppo

I've had the '09 Force for several days now, it's prettimus maximus, Egro changes are saweet. Non zero loss and zero loss both move the chinny chain chain to the respective chain ring cogs. For me it's just a different feel, different flavor.

My impression is that the '09 stuff is a little sexier, a little softer on the touchy --- My guess is that '09 will be percieved as easier to set up for those not comfortable in a universe without big-ring trim.

For me it seems the 07/08 stuff was all about dialed precision for intelligent set up, and '09will be a little sexier a little softer for the end user able to handle all the variables individuals will throw at the gruppo. While each individual change doesn't seem that substantial the end result as a whole has a great feel for me.

Let's see some pics of your 09 Force. Are there any aesthetic changes from 08?

#10 ·
Velonews reported that Zero Loss would only be on the front derailleur shifter for Rival and Force.

"Rival and Force will both have Zero Loss for 2009, albeit only in the front shift lever. Of course, it would be appreciated in both, but experience with Red proved having the technology in the front to be a more noticeable improvement than in the rear shifter"

I think they did this so the gap to Red would be larger.

Here's a link to the whole article if you want to read about it:
http://www.velonews.com/article/75150

#13 ·
Zero Loss

Zero Loss is the reason why I am considering upgrading my first-year Force to Red. I love the SRAM stuff but when you shift, the levers move a discernable distance before they engage. This makes the lever throw longer than it needs to be and it seems VERY long on the front shifter. "Zero loss" effectively removes the "slack" in the lever throw.

#16 ·
jitters said:
Velonews reported that Zero Loss would only be on the front derailleur shifter for Rival and Force.

"Rival and Force will both have Zero Loss for 2009, albeit only in the front shift lever. Of course, it would be appreciated in both, but experience with Red proved having the technology in the front to be a more noticeable improvement than in the rear shifter"

I think they did this so the gap to Red would be larger.

Here's a link to the whole article if you want to read about it:
http://www.velonews.com/article/75150
I just had my hands on a bike with 09 Rival, and it had Zero-loss for the rear shifter. That article is from April.

#20 ·
jbrandt said:
Zero Loss is the reason why I am considering upgrading my first-year Force to Red. I love the SRAM stuff but when you shift, the levers move a discernable distance before they engage. This makes the lever throw longer than it needs to be and it seems VERY long on the front shifter. "Zero loss" effectively removes the "slack" in the lever throw.

Ahh, thank you, that makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.