Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have the ability to get either bike for about the same money. Which would you choose and why?
I am a mid 40s club rider that does some climbing but mostly rolling terrain with the occasional steep grade.
I appreciate any and all thoughts on this.

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not an easy choice but I would get the 09 Pro, and probably will shortly. The redesigned frame is supposed to be significantly better. You would also get new 7900 DuraAce, mixed with Ultegra SL. The 08 would get you 100% DuraAce, better wheels, more carbon parts, so I would say significantly better components in general, all the best stuff.

I think the 09 Pro has the same frame geometry and design changes as the 09 SWorks SL2 (e.g. oversized tubes, BB). I like the look of the fatter tubes. The Expert is same as pro except but does not have oversised BB. Below expert is a different frame that I think is more like 08 or is 08.

If you value the frame most the 09 is the way to go, overall the 08 would get you a lot more value in the parts. So I guess I'm saying I would choose based on color.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... I went with the '09 Pro

My LBS in Toronto (Chain Reaction - great shop) was able to get me an '09 Roubaix Pro but it comes as the Saxo Bank team bike. It sounds like it will be a pretty sweet bike! Does anyone have a picture of the bike? I have looked around and I can't find one anywhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
iamgonnacatchyou said:
My LBS in Toronto (Chain Reaction - great shop) was able to get me an '09 Roubaix Pro but it comes as the Saxo Bank team bike. It sounds like it will be a pretty sweet bike! Does anyone have a picture of the bike? I have looked around and I can't find one anywhere.
Ask for a picture using the specialized site contact us. They sent me one of the Expert Saxo.

I would expect the design to match the Expert. You can look at the Tarmac models at specialized.com. The SWorks Dura Ace and Di2 models some in Team Saxo. In the pictures the white looks more pearl.

I've been told the Saxo bike is all painted, the black is not clear coated carbon weave showing. I like that look in the Team Red that the Pro comes in. The White Expert the black is unpainted clear coated carbon weave.

I rode a Pro and Expert last night. The Expert was the purple test bike that I find not to my liking. I liked the feel of the Pro and I decided that will be the model I buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts