Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for everyone's thoughts on an 09 Trek Madone 6.9 vs. an 08 Cervelo SLC-SL. I presently do group and solo rides at 18-20mph for 2 hours on flats. Moving next year to a hillier area. I'm 6' 210lbs., hoping to get down to under 200lbs. by this summer. Looking for a stiff and fast bike. Which frameset would you choose Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ride a 08 madone right now. I was planning on picking up a cervelo this year but after talking to some sales people from various shops and riders from group rides I participate in it seems like the general consensus is that cervelo, although a good brand, is more hype than anything right now. I am content with my madone and was really just curious about picking up a cervelo but I probably wont now.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Don't we have this exact same question every week from different posters?
Both bikes are superb machines.....but why limit yourself to just those two bikes. There are lots of bikes that are just as good out there, most of them for a whole lot less cash.
In my opinion Cervelo's are the most overpriced and poorest riding bikes out there. Great bikes for crits, not good bikes for long rides, even the more relaxed geometry versions. And the new Trek Madone rides great, but that proprietary bottom bracket and seatmast is just gimmicky.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I rode both two weeks ago in my search for the perfect frame set. I ended up with a Giant TCR ADV SL but that does not answer your question. The Cervelo is a rocket ship and areo but a bumpy ride. I would have bought this bike and dualed it as a TT bike with the optional stem but I decided on dedicated bikes. The Madone is an excellent choice and good paint options with Project One. It rides smooth and is stiff enough.

If you can ride a few more bikes you may be able to find a better solution. These bikes have totally different characteristics so you are choosing between Republican and Democrat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buying a new bike is about fit. Forget what your buddies think, forget color, bottom brackets, cool aero parts and even ride quality, perceived or real. These bikes fit differently. You will be happier, and likely faster on a bike that fits.

Find a good LBS. Get on both bikes and buy the one that fits the best.

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
This is my new ride and I'm very happy with it. One of the deciding factors with me was trek's reputation for dealing with warranty issues fairly. In this price range of bike, I decided that I'd rather be safe than looking at a $6K bike I couldn't ride because of squabbles about warranty issues. No question that Cervelo is sexy, though.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=165714

Only real difference between the 6.5 and 6.9 are the carbon wheels. I wanted the 6.9, but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of cash all at once. I'll probably upgrade the wheels at some point in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts