Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
dropped!
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for a track bike. this is going to be my first track bike. i'm a road racer that's looking to get involved on the track. i did 2 days this past month on the velodrome on a borrowed bike and now i'm hooked.

thus far, i've managed to narrow my choice to a jamis sonik for around 1,300. i can't seem to find any other choices in that price range besides the felt track bike.

does anyone have any recommendations before i go down and pick up the sonik?



:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
pista concepts are kind of inflated in price due to their popularity with the hipsters. S works langster is a better bet, they have one at a bs near me that has been there for a year at least. I'll bet they would negotiate.
 

·
dropped!
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm going to be doing most of my racing at the kissena velodrome in queens, ny. i will probably also go to t-town every once in a while, but kissena will be my home track. it's a 400 meter bumpy velodrome.

as far as road bikes go, i ride a 51-52 seat tube and a 53-54 top tube.

what frame would you recommend to ride at kissena?

:cool:
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,188 Posts
I ride in a bumpy velodrome as well (San Diego). I ride an older (2005) Leader 735TR track bike. The newer models are more track specific. The welds are not pretty by any means but they are light and stiff as hell.

With only decent track components (i.e. Formula track hubs, generic stem, etc). I built up my 14lbs track bike for about $650.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,094 Posts
The Trek T1 falls within your price range with a decent component spec. Beautiful bike and American made to boot.

My reservation would be, considering your comments about a "bumpy velodrome", that the T1 is one stiff bike. A customer bought one for street use and sold it within months. It was beating the you-know-what out of him.
 

·
Growing Older, Not Up
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Sounds like most of the production models have been covered. I will add that Probikekit has some Dolan's in your price range. Also you can get a Leader Track frame and most likely build it up within your price range.
 

·
Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Kissena and even T-town allow use more road bike-esque track frame. Basically, you can get anything you want. Some tracks really narrow things down for you. However, here's what I would do if I were you. I would get the T-town swap meet and buy something used. There are all kinds of great custom track bikes that are awesome to race on. And you would get them second hand for well within your budget. Don't know when it is but it should be soon.
 

·
dropped!
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richard said:
The Trek T1 falls within your price range with a decent component spec. Beautiful bike and American made to boot.

My reservation would be, considering your comments about a "bumpy velodrome", that the T1 is one stiff bike. A customer bought one for street use and sold it within months. It was beating the you-know-what out of him.

i'm not keen on trek bikes- for no particular reason other than i'd rather ride something else. they are fine bikes, but not for me.


Sherpa23 said:
Kissena and even T-town allow use more road bike-esque track frame. Basically, you can get anything you want. Some tracks really narrow things down for you. However, here's what I would do if I were you. I would get the T-town swap meet and buy something used. There are all kinds of great custom track bikes that are awesome to race on. And you would get them second hand for well within your budget. Don't know when it is but it should be soon.
this is interesting. i'm going to research this swap meet a bit. thanks!


crumjack said:
Sounds like most of the production models have been covered. I will add that Probikekit has some Dolan's in your price range. Also you can get a Leader Track frame and most likely build it up within your price range.
i've seen a few dolan's at kissena. do you know anything about the dolan track champion? it seems to be in the ballpark, price-wise, and my LBS has frames in stock for around 500. PBK also has full builds that are around 1,100.

the 2009 sonic went up in price to 1,600! they say the BB is 35% stiffer, but i think that price puts it out of my league for a ready-made bike. i'm interested in a 2008 leftover.

thanks all-
 

·
Growing Older, Not Up
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
r_mutt said:
i've seen a few dolan's at kissena. do you know anything about the dolan track champion? it seems to be in the ballpark, price-wise, and my LBS has frames in stock for around 500. PBK also has full builds that are around 1,100.
Honestly the only thing I know about Dolans is I saw a write up about the frames they built for Wiggins and Cavendish last year and have been enamored with them since.

The track champion looks like a fine frame with ok components. I don't really think that it offers much over a Fuji Track Pro.

I think paying a visit to the swap meet will be your best bet unless you want something right now or have something specific in mind. I race up an IRO frame and built it up relatively cheap last fall. Sure the frame isn't as fashionable but I have some decent components that will most likely stay with me long after the frame is gone.
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,188 Posts
JaeP said:
I ride in a bumpy velodrome as well (San Diego). I ride an older (2005) Leader 735TR track bike. The newer models are more track specific. The welds are not pretty by any means but they are light and stiff as hell.

With only decent track components (i.e. Formula track hubs, generic stem, etc). I built up my 14lbs track bike for about $650.00
Here's a picture of my Leader.
 

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
dwadamcat said:
fuji makes a nice one too.. it looks pretty sweet....
Sorry, I don't know the price.
 

·
dropped!
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi innergel. i've actually been considering a spicer instead of an off the rack dolan, or masi coltello, or fully built jamis.

one possibility is to by a good component group and a relatively cheapish frame, see how it fits and rides, decide what i like and don't like and then use those components on a new frame at some point.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top