Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been an idiot and cracked the steerer on a relatively new carbon frame/fork (don't ask, there was a combination of contributory factors).

I'll need to get a new matching fork. However, this is likely to take a few weeks. In the meantime I have two options for putting together a decent usable bike:

1) move everything (groupset, cables, finishing kit etc etc) across to an older Ti frameset I have and then move it all back again when I get the replacement fork. This will effectively involve two complete bike builds in the space of 2 or 3 weeks. Still, I have all the tools and have done it before, so it's a serious option. I'd need to get a new Campagnolo 11sp chain, as the one currently on the bike has already been broken and rejoined once with the special pin, and Campagnolo say you can only do this 2 times...

2) find a way to temporarily fit the Look HSC5SL fork that's on the Ti frame to the new carbon frame. Problem is that the new frame has a 1.125 => 1.5 tapered steerer tube with a 1.5" lower bearing, and the Look fork is straight 1.125 with the lower 1.125 race molded directly into the CF crown... Both frames have "integrated" headsets. So I would need a way to fit the 1.125" lower bearing into the 1.5" recess in the bottom of the new bike's steerer tube - some kind of shim? Either that, or find a lower bearing with the external diameter of a 1.5" bearing but designed to work with a 1.125" lower race (it would also need to be the correct angle - I think the Look lower bearing angle is 36 degrees?).

I know that there are "step down" and "mixer" headsets available from some sources, as well as step down adapters - however, as far as I can tell these are not designed for integrated headtubes, only for ones with press-fit cups. Unfortunately the online descriptions of these items are not very detailed - might any of them have a part I could use?

Availability is a big factor - I really need to get a bike up and running in the next few days, as I have a 140km event coming up in two weeks time and I can feel my fitness slipping away already...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just get the correct fork and wait it out.
Not really an option for me at the moment, I need a bike in the next few weeks...

I ended up building up the Ti frame after all. It actually took less time than my average Sunday ride. The more builds you do, the easier it gets... :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts