Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
No problem for a front wheel, wind-up isn't an issue. I built a set of wheels this spring going DT Revolutions and alloy nipples all around, 32h 3X Abrosio Nemisis tubular on Record hubs. I'm heavy (~200lbs) and can really put out the watts in short spurts and was having trouble keeping the rear in true. Rebuilt with DT Comps and brass nipples and couldn't be happier.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
It depends

steel515 said:
Has anyone built wheels with 1.8 or 1.8/1.6 spokes? Will they stay true for daily riding? Windup/flex too much? (For a front wheel)
Your weight, your roads, your rims, your spoke count, and your riding style will all have an impact on whether this will work for you. I weigh 180 and exclusively ride 32 spoke, 1.8/1.6 wheels with no issues. Windup is only an issue during building, and proper greasing of the spoke threads combined with good technique prevents this being a problem. The difference in wheel flex between 2.0 and 1.8 spokes is much less than the differences due to bracing angles and spoke count.

· p != b
2,303 Posts
I have a 36-spoke 3x 1.8 straight gauge front wheel, with a semi-deep rim (Mavic CXP 12 or something like that? It's pretty old).

No problems with it, I've ridden it at 200 lbs, cx, you name it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.