Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know a good source for 1" threadless stems? I know I can use a 1 1/8 with a shim and be fine, but I just don't like the idea of shims (silly I know).

Thanks

Mike

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Very silly. 99% of threadless stems are made for 1 1/8 forks. Anybody in their right mind, who has a 1" fork, uses a shim.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Very silly. 99% of threadless stems are made for 1 1/8 forks. Anybody in their right mind, who has a 1" fork, uses a shim.

That's not what he said. He wants a threadless stem that fits the one inch fork WITHOUT the shim.

I haven't seen them for sale in a while. You never know if you keep looking on e-bay you may find some one-inch stems on there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Keep your eye out on ebay.

If the length of my one stem is correct, I will have a 110mm one for sale soon.

I will be using a shim on my 90mm stem.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I've been using a shimmed 1 1/8" stem on my track bike w/ a 1" steer tube and haven't had any issue with it even after jarring it up climbs and hard sprints... I can understand if you have some aesthetic reason for not wanting a shimmed stem but they are in no way operationally inferior, just make sure everything is torqued to spec.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gatman said:
Keep your eye out on ebay. QUOTE]

Yeah, I just missed a great ti one on ebay!

If you do sell yours let me know because I'm looking for a 110.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I speak in support of shims, maybe 1" steerers....

this is not a great set of reasons, but they are sorta applicable:
1. The larger stem will sometimes have a slightly larger diameter horizontal extension, and a marginally larger welding area. This is marginally stronger, and is thus good.

2. This takes a minute, stay with me. I will suggest here without anything other than my own workshop fooling-around-empirical-evidence, that having a shim in there might make the stem more likely to rotate slightly on the steerer in the event of a serious crash. This could be a good thing.

Back in the day, one of the virtues of a quill stem was if you seriously crashed out and landed on the front end, there was a good chance that the stem would move in the headtube (you could manually return it to straight after the crash). This was not a bad thing, it absorbed energy and was a trivial weak link in the rigidity of the bar/stem/headset. Flash forward to present. Most folks have the stem on there in a friggin' death grip, and a serious whack on the front end might result in some damage. I have seen post-crash cracked steerers. I wonder if G. Hincapie's stem/steerer problem in Paris-Roubaix is another example. I have gone so far as to lubricate the steerer/stem/shim. In the event of a serious whack, I think it will move a bit, and that is OK by me.

3. This is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I have done it twice. Have a shop cut threads in the damn thing and use a beautiful quill stem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Keep and eye on ICYCLES auctions on eBAY.....they have Cinelli Grammo 1" threadless stems pretty much all the time, and I've bought a couple from them over the past year. Nice Ti stem as long as you don't have oversized bars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.