Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the season is over, but I looked to score on some off-season sales. I am making the jump to tubulars, and am currently having a tubular set built-up, but don't have the tubie tires to top them off. I have one set of clinchers to dedicate for cross season. The tubulars will probably be my main set for the season, so does that mean I should get an all around tubular tire and reserve the clinchers for really muddy races, or focus the tubulars for more muddy races and use the clinchers as my all-around race course tire, or am I just a fool and need to completely rethink my strategy.

I guess to put some bounds on price, I would say under $75 per tire. Dugast's would be great and may be the answer for everything, but they are just way outside my price range.

Thanks for the help. I'll post pics when all is said and done.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'd use your tubies as the main set; something like Grifos that are suited to a wide variety of conditions and then use your clinchers as a mud tire, like Michelin Muds or Racing Ralphs.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
agreed with the above

and since they are clinchers get a set of semi slicks in case you get a dry, fast course

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
+1 for Grifo 32 tubies

Challenge Fango and Grifo XS clinchers
I raced 18 starts last season, almost all on Challenge Grifo 34s, mostly dry courses maybe 4 in the mud, 2 in soup. They do it all quite well, but I'm trying 32s this year as my all rounders. Somebody is selling Gommitalia Magnum Muds in 32mm on Ebay $100 for 2 tires, buy it now price, and free shipping. These are exactly the same tire as older Grifos from a couple of years ago (without the second row of dots at the edge of the tread that the latest Grifos have) same tread as my 34s that I liked so much last year. Being cheap, I bought a second pair myself, same factory and molds as the Grifos with the Challenge label, they look great, mounted straight, same supple casing and identical tread. Do a search for Gommitalia, I don't know the seller, YMMV but you probably won't find a better deal for quality tubs for less than $100.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yea. I saw them, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts