Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I had the opportunity to try one. It's quiet and will provide all the resistance you need. It was stable and easy to set up, even on a crooked floor. The only thing I don't like about the 1Up is it uses friction on a cork plate as resistance. I would expect the resistance to fade over time or at least require periodic replacement of the friction plate. Mag and fluid trainers won't have this issue.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
blackburn purchased the rights to that tech and are selling it under their name...i scored one last year for an awesome price on craigs but you can get a new that might be cheaper than the original 1up

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had one for a couple years and really like it. I can watch TV without having the volume cranked to the point the family wakes up.

Good luck.

·
lonewolf
7 Posts
I used one the past two winters here in WI, putting in 7-10 hours/week. It is a snap to set up, is quiet when in use and comes with a life-time warranty. 5 stars as far as I am concerned,

·
Registered
154 Posts
1up redesigned the resistance unit this year. They had similar problems as the blackburn sold model, such as inconsistent resistance, locking up etc...

Apparently the new design has no problems. So if you get the 1up make sure it's a new one.

And avoid Blackburn trainers like the plague. Trainers are crap and so is CS.

Gene

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jenson is selling the Blackburn Trackstand Ultra (the one they licensed from 1UP) for $170 right now. It's a steal!

The problems with the Blackburn are all heat related. When you pedal, the resistance (in any trainer) is energy being turned to heat. Mag, fluid, friction, whatever, it's all getting turned to heat. Some dumbass at Blackburn thought it would be a good idea to enclose the resistance unit in a fancy plastic housing. Guess what, that housing holds heat in. The resistance unit overheats, the friction material gets slippery, and the trainer fails.

1) Remove the plastic cover (1 bolt and it comes off)
2) Blow a fan at the resistance unit
3) Enjoy the quietest and most realistic feeling trainer I've ever used at 1/2 the price of a 1UP or other top brand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
williaty said:
Jenson is selling the Blackburn Trackstand Ultra (the one they licensed from 1UP) for $170 right now. It's a steal!

The problems with the Blackburn are all heat related. When you pedal, the resistance (in any trainer) is energy being turned to heat. Mag, fluid, friction, whatever, it's all getting turned to heat. Some dumbass at Blackburn thought it would be a good idea to enclose the resistance unit in a fancy plastic housing. Guess what, that housing holds heat in. The resistance unit overheats, the friction material gets slippery, and the trainer fails.

1) Remove the plastic cover (1 bolt and it comes off)
2) Blow a fan at the resistance unit
3) Enjoy the quietest and most realistic feeling trainer I've ever used at 1/2 the price of a 1UP or other top brand.
Doesn't work. That's the first thing I (and many others did). Tried all the BB recommended lubing and cleaning and lubing and cleaning and ball bearing combos. Trainer still sucked.

AVOID the BB Trackstand Ultra! Spend the extra and get the new 1up or a KK or Cycleops fluid.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Peter P. said:
I had the opportunity to try one. It's quiet and will provide all the resistance you need. It was stable and easy to set up, even on a crooked floor. The only thing I don't like about the 1Up is it uses friction on a cork plate as resistance. I would expect the resistance to fade over time or at least require periodic replacement of the friction plate. Mag and fluid trainers won't have this issue.
Cork? I have two, one purchased circa 2000 and another one purchased around 2005 both with a felt-like material. I didn't know they changed to cork. I assume is better?

BTW, I like mine and haven't had any issues. However I know some have reported some failures with the resistance uints, i.e. lock-down or cracking.

HTH

·
Registered
18 Posts
kini said:
Doesn't work. That's the first thing I (and many others did). Tried all the BB recommended lubing and cleaning and lubing and cleaning and ball bearing combos. Trainer still sucked.

AVOID the BB Trackstand Ultra! Spend the extra and get the new 1up or a KK or Cycleops fluid.
Works perfectly fine for us. Two of us are riding on it every 3rd day, so it's getting the "miles" poured onto it in a hurry. Absolutely no problems with it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
williaty said:
Works perfectly fine for us. Two of us are riding on it every 3rd day, so it's getting the "miles" poured onto it in a hurry. Absolutely no problems with it.
You're one of the lucky few.

There's a reason BB doesn't sell this trainer anymore.

There's a reason 1up changed the resistance unit on theirs too.

Gene

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
resurrecting from the dead.

I was running the Blackburn Ultra and recently i did the right thing by cleaning the RU only to find that it made things WORSE. I couldnt spool up past 15mph without feeling like I was trying to climb a 20% grade.

I contacted BB for assistance they responded promptly with suggestion on what needed to be done. They even so far as sent me a FEDEX call slip to ship my trainer back for inspection.

Alas I did the counterintuitive thing and put more grease on the ball bearings and it actually made it work properly again. They suggest just a small film but i guess that would depend on the grease you're using. Hats off though to BB for their customer service

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sand the felt resistance plate with fine sandpaper. Over time, the felt gets a glaze on the surface from heat. I did that, it's good as new, which was pretty good.

·
Registered
400 Posts
kini said:
You're one of the lucky few.

There's a reason BB doesn't sell this trainer anymore.

There's a reason 1up changed the resistance unit on theirs too.

Gene
I agree. I sent my BB back due to inconsistent resistance. When the replacement came, I sold it. I've been riding the Kurt Kenetic without problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts