Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fat & Single
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The newish 12spd Sram Eagle for MTB is nice... not that its going to be much difference from 1 x 11 with 11-42 rear cassette and a 32 front, I already have gears for everything I need, and more.

Now... I have lots of local hills and mountains, I dont give flyers #$#$ on cadence or sticking with a group. I have successfully ran 1 x 10 Sram Red on my CX bike and rode it as a roadie.

Considering Sram E-tap DISC as the upgrade or hyd Rotor-Uno DISC... now thinking I can go 1 x 12 on SRAM's eagle if SRAM do a 12spd road shifter system with compatible pull ratio, do you see it coming ?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
The newish 12spd Sram Eagle for MTB is nice... not that its going to be much difference from 1 x 11 with 11-42 rear cassette and a 32 front, I already have gears for everything I need, and more.

Now... I have lots of local hills and mountains, I dont give flyers #$#$ on cadence or sticking with a group. I have successfully ran 1 x 10 Sram Red on my CX bike and rode it as a roadie.

Considering Sram E-tap DISC as the upgrade or hyd Rotor-Uno DISC... now thinking I can go 1 x 12 on SRAM's eagle if SRAM do a 12spd road shifter system with compatible pull ratio, do you see it coming ?
If you do any riding on flat roads and are interested in performance, 1X drivetrains are NOT the answer. Gears are too widely spaced. If you don't care about that, then knock yourself out. Enjoy that extreme chain line.

·
Fat & Single
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do any riding on flat roads and are interested in performance, 1X drivetrains are NOT the answer. Gears are too widely spaced. If you don't care about that, then knock yourself out. Enjoy that extreme chain line.
A little bit of flat but mostly hills, as I said, I have already been quite happy with it on my CX which got transformed to a road bike while waiting on a new one. This is still setup as 11-34 with a 42t front.

I have rode 1 x 11/10 on MTB's for quite a few years and the chainline is fine, the cassette of the Sram Eagle is no wider than my XX1, just tighter spacing.

People may have opinions on what they like and the gear jumps are not to everyone liking, but a 12spd, 10-44 rear cassette and 50t front is what I am after.

Change is good... Looks like I will have to go elsewhere in my search for info.

·
Registered
647 Posts
A little bit of flat but mostly hills, as I said, I have already been quite happy with it on my CX which got transformed to a road bike while waiting on a new one. This is still setup as 11-34 with a 42t front.

I have rode 1 x 11/10 on MTB's for quite a few years and the chainline is fine, the cassette of the Sram Eagle is no wider than my XX1, just tighter spacing.

People may have opinions on what they like and the gear jumps are not to everyone liking, but a 12spd, 10-44 rear cassette and 50t front is what I am after.

Change is good... Looks like I will have to go elsewhere in my search for info.
Actually, it is wider than your XX1. They keep the same 11-speed and add a monster cog.

XX1, 11-speed is 10x42

XX1, 12-speed is 10x50

Per Competitive Cyclist:
"The Eagle 12-Speed Cassette encompasses that 10-42t cassette so commonly employed with 11-speed one-by drivetrains and adds a 50t bailout cog for those lung-crushing climbs that leave you breathlessly pleading for the cycling deities to fly out of the sky with an extra climbing gear. In short, Eagle gives you a one-by system with all the gear range you need to conquer leg-searing ascents and heart-dropping descents alike, without the finicky weight of a front derailleur or extra chainring."

·
Fat & Single
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They keep the same 11-speed and add a monster cog.
New chain width for new spacing, only 2mm closer to the spokes on the biggest cog over 11spd.

A new chain was required as the width had to be dropped from 5.6mm to 5.25mm to allow for the additional cog.
The tooth count of the first 11 cogs on the Eagle cassette are the same as they are on SRAM's 11-speed 10-42 cassettes (10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42), with the 10-tooth cog sitting in exactly the same position. The spacing between each cogs is ever-so-slightly tighter, and the final 50-tooth cog sits a little closer (2mm to be exact) to the spokes than the 42-tooth cog would on an 11-speed cassette. Despite the extra cog, the cassette still works with a standard XD driver body.

·
Fat & Single
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah yes, its just the dinner plate 50t added, but all made a bit narrower to fit.

I might have to contact SRAM and find out the compatibility of their road pull ratios to MTB components.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
Actually, it is wider than your XX1. They keep the same 11-speed and add a monster cog.

XX1, 11-speed is 10x42

XX1, 12-speed is 10x50

Per Competitive Cyclist:
"The Eagle 12-Speed Cassette encompasses that 10-42t cassette so commonly employed with 11-speed one-by drivetrains and adds a 50t bailout cog for those lung-crushing climbs that leave you breathlessly pleading for the cycling deities to fly out of the sky with an extra climbing gear. In short, Eagle gives you a one-by system with all the gear range you need to conquer leg-searing ascents and heart-dropping descents alike, without the finicky weight of a front derailleur or extra chainring."

I have to wonder what the rear hub longevity will be with a 50T cog. That is very stressful on the rear hub. Then again, better to trash a hub than to trash your knees.

·
Fat & Single
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even on the 11spd MTB groups, the big cog is made of alu.

XTR - TI, final cog Alu, carbon spider
XX1 - Steel, final gear Alu
Hope - Steel, top 4 gears Alu billet
Sunrace - Steel, final gear Alu

I have not had to replace a cassette yet, but very proactive with my chain replacement, >0.75 clear and its gone.

Dont know how long I spend the the big granny on the MTB, maybe just short sharp blasts. Road... prolonged climbs or would I just need it on 15%+, not sure how it would wear or what use it would get.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Really? Cuz I think if I lived in a place like Florida I'd ditch my small ring, front derailleur, and front shifter. 1x makes sense if you don't need climbing gears. I'd keep the same 11-25 cassette and 53 ring I have now but I'd probably occassionally use the lowest 3 gears which I NEVER use while in the big ring presently. No need for a wide range cassette with big jumps if you ride flat roads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How about a 1x10 road bike gearing. Just changed my Vellum Edge road bike into a 1x10 gearing. Got rid of the large chain ring, front derailleur, cables, and installed a KMC ti chain. Running a 11x29 cassette with a 34 chain ring. Used an old chain ring and cut it, ground it down, primed and painted it to match my Campy carbon crank for the spacers. O.K., I admit, I am a weight weenie. I never used my large chain ring, mostly hill climbing. Shifts perfectly. My bike (-16 lbs), was already an incredible riding bike, especially compared to those massed produced Trek and Specialized bikes.

Vellum Edge carbon frame
Campy Ultralite carbon/ti components
Campy carbon crank
Carbon seat post
Carbon stem
Carbon handlebars
ZIPP 202 carbon wheels
Ti pedals
Ti skewers

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
How about a 1x10 road bike gearing. Just changed my Vellum Edge road bike into a 1x10 gearing. Got rid of the large chain ring, front derailleur, cables, and installed a KMC ti chain. Running a 11x29 cassette with a 34 chain ring. Used an old chain ring and cut it, ground it down, primed and painted it to match my Campy carbon crank for the spacers. O.K., I admit, I am a weight weenie. I never used my large chain ring, mostly hill climbing. Shifts perfectly. My bike (-16 lbs), was already an incredible riding bike, especially compared to those massed produced Trek and Specialized bikes.
You should try going down the hills too. It's fun. You might need to add the weight of a bigger chain ring though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts