Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to setup my cross bike as a 1 x 9 this fall and was not able to find any of the posts that discuss it, therefore can you help?

Does it work best to put 2 chainguards on each side of the ring or does a chainguard/jump stop combo work better?

Second, I would like to use the same brake/shifter setup on my bike rather, therefore does anyone have a solution other than not running a cable for my left Shimano brake lever?

Thanks for all of the help and I will post a pic in the next few weeks once it is finished.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
tn29'er said:
I am planning to setup my cross bike as a 1 x 9 this fall and was not able to find any of the posts that discuss it, therefore can you help?

Does it work best to put 2 chainguards on each side of the ring or does a chainguard/jump stop combo work better?

Second, I would like to use the same brake/shifter setup on my bike rather, therefore does anyone have a solution other than not running a cable for my left Shimano brake lever?

Thanks for all of the help and I will post a pic in the next few weeks once it is finished.

Regarding the chainguards, it works both ways. Obviously its lighter to have a 3rd eye/jumpstop/whatever and a chainguard on the outside... cyclocrossworld.com sells it both ways. Its probably easier to do it with an inner watching device since you don't have to deal with spacers and different width chainring bolts.

I'm not really sure what you're asking re: the second question, but there currently isn't an STI shaped dummy lever (in any kind of consumer level production), so you either use a different shaped brake lever, not run a cable in your STIs, or run Campy...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I ran a single ring with jump stop on the inside last season, and a chain guard on the outside, and had no problems. You have to spend a bit of time making sure the jump stop is positioned just right. Also, shortening the chain as much as possible makes it less likely to drop the chain.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
tn29'er said:
Does it seem to everyone that the jump stop combo works the best? Also, are the any additional tricks above shortening the chain for utilizing an ultegra derailleur? Thanks
1. I think running double chainguard would work fine too. But then the chainring is on the outside of the spider and you also need extra-long chainring bolts.
2. I definitely feel the jump stop is better than a dog fang.
3. To shorten the chain, get a masterlink from the bike shop. Choose the shortest possible length according to these guidelines:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26
Then pop out a couple rivets, install the masterlink, et voila.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
I'm not really sure what you're asking re: the second question, but there currently isn't an STI shaped dummy lever (in any kind of consumer level production)
Is this what you mean?

QBP Part number R100A for small hands or R200A for normal hands.

I run this on my bike. They work better than the right STI.

On the front I use Salsa crossing guard and chain keeper on the inside. I think redline actually markets the one I have. Maybe also known as a dog fang?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.