Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of like the great explorers of 500 years ago we knew where we were and where we wanted to go, we just wern't sure how we were going to get there.

We left the house knowing that we had hotel reservations in Shepherdstown WV and we had a vauge idea of a route that would take us through Frederick and across the valleys, ridges and battlefields of western Maryland before crossing into West Virginia right at Shepherdstown.

The beauty of that route is that except when you are crossing the ridges the riding is darn easy. So of course that isn't what we did (BTW notice the long tall shot of a road heading straight uphill? And a little dot right at the top of the hill? That would of course be Miss M leaving me in a cloud of burnt rubber as she races up each and every climb of the day).

We decided to visit some roads we hadn't been on for a couple of years so we headed for the river and crossed the trestle into Harpers Ferry and West Virginia giving us great views of the river and endless hills PLUS lots of ridges to cross.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It was a darn nice day for a ride, if it wasn't for all the shopping we needed to do in Shepherdstown we could have continued on for hours more (that and the fact that trying to keep up with an on fire Miss M had crushed me).

As it was after a heavy day of riding and shopping we were were early to bed planning on being early to rise expecting another beautiful ride on Monday.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reflections on a beautiful dawn.

Living in the middle of the Mid-Atlantic states as we do you don't really expect good weather to last. Things are always changing one day of rain and wind will be followed by a beauty of a day to be followed by wind or snow or heat or ice or just something different. After a beautiful day on Sunday, Monday was no exception to the expected change in weather.

That is right, a beautiful day for riding was followed by a perfect day for riding. Proving my point......the conditions are always changing around here.

We crossed from Shepherdstown into Maryland on a bridge high over the Potomac wrapped in morning fog. I couldn't resist taking a few shots of the old bridges on the river before we headed downriver on the tow path.

We were riding in shade but the south side of the river was brightly lit by the morning sun. It was more than beautiful.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Columbus Day is an odd holiday around here. The feds get the day off but not many other folks do. We weren't quite sure what to expect trafficwise so we decided to be conservative and come into the District via the W&OD trail.

The trail was busier than a normal Monday but not near as crazy as a weekend would have been.

We barely stopped at all and it seemed like no time had passed before we crossed the Potomac one last time into the city.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since afterall it was Columbus Day (and that aforementioned perfect day for a ride) we decided to ride up to Union Station and visit the Columbus Memorial (there must be a memorial for everything in this town).

Of course my favorite is the Washington Monument which just so happened to be right on our way-as was the Capitol.

It looked like there had been a small ceremony at the Columbus Memorial but by the time we got there all that was left were some wreaths and lots of flying rats.

Then we rode straight across the city in fairly light semi-holiday traffic and home. Of course after being gone for a couple of days we were a little short on provisions......

Only one thing to do. Ride more......

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Great post, as always. I was in Maryland over the weekend for a wedding, and really wish that I could have gone for a ride up that way. Fall colors, hills, trees, nice roads for cycling... glad someone got to enjoy it!

·
Non non normal
10,103 Posts
The spider web was a great shot. There are some serious climbs around some of those parts. That climb out of Harpers Ferry is no cakewalk.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Good stuff MB. I got stuck at work as I'm state gov and not federal. We get the end of the month off to celebrate and plan on riding for a few days.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bigrider said:
That climb out of Harpers Ferry is no cakewalk.
I clung to Miss M's wheel for about 3/4 of the way up-after that it nearly was a walk. Seemed like the thing would never end. :blush2:

·
Registered
555 Posts
It is not your great USA Washington Monument that I like. What fascinate me are nice clean bikes, great pictures and your adventures. Just look at the reflection of water with clouds at the magic moment, and your on bike shot at Miss M with the perfect pattern of fallen leaves on the road. All these make your ride report an unique one to me.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Kai-Ming.

kai-ming said:
...Just look at the reflection of water with clouds at the magic moment, and your on bike shot at Miss M with the perfect pattern of fallen leaves on the road. All these make your ride report an unique one to me.
Kind words indeed.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
More wallpaper, thanks MB1. What awesome pictures! I love it all but the bridge shots are magnificent. It looks like you guys had a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

Z

1 - 18 of 18 Posts