Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people are interested in such things; and figures are available faster and faster each year.

Last year has just been reported - with no surprises - Raleigh has now gotten back into road and knocked out Cervelo off the list

companies are
AMERICAN BICYCLE (LITGHTSPEED/ETC)
BIANCHI
CANNONDALE
FELT
FUJI
GIANT
MOTOBECANE
RALEIGH
SPECIALIZED
TREK (TREK/ETC)

people can guess about the volume order; but what difference does that make at this level? These 10 brands sell way over 90% of the road bikes sold.

What is kind of interesting is the special categories. If there was a list by Track Bikes, KHS would make this list and Trek would be off. If there was a list by Tri Bikes, Cervelo would make the list and Raleigh would be off. And then there is the other questions; are flat-bar road bikes actually road bikes? Should tandems count? Is a touring bike or tandem with road tires on 26” wheels a road bike? How about bikes with 650c wheels? What is the difference between a Flat_bar road bike and a hybrid [line at which one is counted as ‘Road’]

Another interesting issue is source {Courtney of origin}. Almost all road bikes are made in Taiwan {even many that are actually marked ‘made in somewhere else’}. But there is a move to China for many brands {only 3 brands on the list do not import bikes from China – American Bicycle, Felt, and Motobecane (4 if you count Cannondale; who brings frames from China but not complete bikes)}. The question of how many road bikes will be moved to China impacts the price points available and thus the total sales volume.

Which leads to a question not frequently discussed in open, should road bikes be kept at the more ‘exclusive’ price ranges? There has been some effort to insure that road bikes do not move into the ‘popular’ price points; as the current situation helps drive up the average price of bikes sold. It is true that no one company can keep another from marketing a $299 road bike; but the industry can make it difficult to do profitably. One view; as more riders try out road bikes, more riders will want to move up. Another view; customers who are interested in road can afford to spend $600 up to get into it.

Without including my opinion, it is hard to say to direction of road. However, it is clear this category of bikes has made a big difference in the total sales of the bicycle industry to the last 5 years.

·
papa sboak
1,009 Posts
How many people do you know stop at one bike?

With proper marketing, they can get new riders/clients/customers into the sport on flashy, low end tech equipment that looks great to noobs. With a low selling point, they can get them into the sport based on quick decisions to buy if the product is < around $350.

A heavy and badly made Al frame with the lowest specced components with the right colors/paint/advertising in magazines outside of the cycling world can bring in a wealth of new customers if the manufacturer plays their cards right. A good example would be Pacific Cycle (no, I don't ride their bikes). They could REALLY capitalize on the Schwinn name to people that don't know much about cycling. A reputation that took decades to build.

Looks are everything. I ride low end Bianchi, but many of my non-riding friends comment on how great the Felt line of bikes looks. Some of them have never heard of Bianchi (they often refer to my bike without the letter "n" in the name). They really like the brakes on the top of the hoods (bar top levers) of the lower end bikes that Felt puts out . They love the color schemes. (I have not problem with Felt bikes, good stuff.) Looks sell. Just like people, it's rarely what's on the inside that gets people to pay attention.

Upgrading ANYTHING is almost expected these days. People always want something better. A great marketing gimmick would be to offer upgrade "packages" instead of components. So the manufacturer could just throw together a group of inexpensive parts 2 tiers up and package them as an Upgrade Package. Need flashy names that riders can identify with. Not just numbers like "105" or words they don't care for "Centaur." Something more along the lines of "Racing Kit RS1" or "Superlight RXS 20 grouppo." Flashy, but stupid. Most buyers do little research. Spend more on advertising (print/television) and less on sponsorship/charity/manufacturing costs. Fatter bottom line and the public BELIEF that you make a better product.

Witness Bose. How much do these guys spend on advertising???

Point is, get them in the door. They'll feel deficient once they're inside from other riders as well as proper marketing.

Gentlemen, let us "Baaahhh" as the sheep that we are. My bike was made in Taiwan. How much did I pay for it? Just for the name or the minty green? (Okay, it was a very slightly used bike on sale for a great price... but why couldn't I have simply gotten a lower end bike for a lower price?)

Vanity

(okay, it was on a list of bikes hardcore roadies recommended, love it)

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
"Witness Bose. How much do these guys spend on advertising???"

No highs, no lows, thank god they must be bose. $500 for a clock radio? And their $1200 surround sound system that cost about $75 to make. Bose should be in all Advertising/Marketing 101 books.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
"Witness Bose. How much do these guys spend on advertising???"

No highs, no lows, thank god they must be bose. $500 for a clock radio? And their $1200 surround sound system that cost about $75 to make. Bose should be in all Advertising/Marketing 101 books.
Any geeks here remember the DAK catalogs from the mid- to late 80's? A mail-order warehouse operation that sold various cheap computers, gadgets, and electronics. Their CEO would write 'articles' about each and every thing in the catalog, and boy could that guy market. He could write 2+ pages on a clock radio and make it sound like it could solve world hunger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
data

DaveG said:
Is the data by number of units sold or total sales in dollars?
industry reporting data; by units
Can not quote exact units or dollars; but top 10 brands can be public knowledge; especially since these could be guessed by most people in the industry (even without the reporting data)

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
wardinside said:
industry reporting data; by units
Can not quote exact units or dollars; but top 10 brands can be public knowledge; especially since these could be guessed by most people in the industry (even without the reporting data)
Does anyone rank them or mention what share of the market they have? Or how many units sold in total?

I'm surprised there isn't some Chinese or Indian brand mentioned besides Giant.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
DAK's spiritual clone would be Sharper Image--no issue of their catalogue is complete without multiple testimonials from Richard Thalmeier about how perceptive and wise he is, and how that atomic nose-hair trimmer he just found will change your life. I stay away from these outfits that apparently revolve around their self-proclaimed whiz-kid founders; they always come off like snake oil salesmen.

As for Bose, they spend enough, at least in this area--I see at least a couple of print ads a week in the L.A. Times, and any number of magazines I get will have an ad in each issue. They just target a very particular group of prospective sheep, errr, customers. (I don't have any quibbles with the performance of Bose products I've encountered--I'm still using the 301s I bought in the 70s with my first "real" stereo, and I still like 'em.)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a question

where do the Felts, Motobecane, and the non-ti Litespeeds and others come from??

wardinside said:
I know some people are interested in such things; and figures are available faster and faster each year.

Last year has just been reported - with no surprises - Raleigh has now gotten back into road and knocked out Cervelo off the list

companies are
BIANCHI
CANNONDALE
FELT
FUJI
GIANT
MOTOBECANE
RALEIGH
SPECIALIZED
TREK (TREK/ETC)

people can guess about the volume order; but what difference does that make at this level? These 10 brands sell way over 90% of the road bikes sold.

What is kind of interesting is the special categories. If there was a list by Track Bikes, KHS would make this list and Trek would be off. If there was a list by Tri Bikes, Cervelo would make the list and Raleigh would be off. And then there is the other questions; are flat-bar road bikes actually road bikes? Should tandems count? Is a touring bike or tandem with road tires on 26” wheels a road bike? How about bikes with 650c wheels? What is the difference between a Flat_bar road bike and a hybrid [line at which one is counted as ‘Road’]

Another interesting issue is source {Courtney of origin}. Almost all road bikes are made in Taiwan {even many that are actually marked ‘made in somewhere else’}. But there is a move to China for many brands {only 3 brands on the list do not import bikes from China – American Bicycle, Felt, and Motobecane (4 if you count Cannondale; who brings frames from China but not complete bikes)}. The question of how many road bikes will be moved to China impacts the price points available and thus the total sales volume.

Which leads to a question not frequently discussed in open, should road bikes be kept at the more ‘exclusive’ price ranges? There has been some effort to insure that road bikes do not move into the ‘popular’ price points; as the current situation helps drive up the average price of bikes sold. It is true that no one company can keep another from marketing a $299 road bike; but the industry can make it difficult to do profitably. One view; as more riders try out road bikes, more riders will want to move up. Another view; customers who are interested in road can afford to spend $600 up to get into it.

Without including my opinion, it is hard to say to direction of road. However, it is clear this category of bikes has made a big difference in the total sales of the bicycle industry to the last 5 years.

·
papa sboak
1,009 Posts
Felt bikes

Don't know about the higher end ones, but on the lower end ones I've see the ubiquious "Made in Taiwan" sticker.

My Solo halogen light from Light & motion had a "Made in China" sticker on it. Funny part was, the sticker was CLEAR and was placed over black plastic. The printing on the "Made in China" was black... rendering it nearly invisible until I read it before pulling it off the product. Size: 3 x 15 millimeters!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Many of those are made in Taiwan

If you do your research, most frames are made in Taiwan or some other Asian country. I will try to find my frame builders guide and give some refs. Fact is, just because you have an Italian label, that doesn't mean your bike was made in Italy.

G

·
wardinside said:

companies are
BIANCHI
CANNONDALE
FELT
FUJI
GIANT
MOTOBECANE
RALEIGH
SPECIALIZED
TREK (TREK/ETC)

I assume you are talking about sales in the continental united states..........

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
OCRRider said:
If you do your research, most frames are made in Taiwan or some other Asian country. I will try to find my frame builders guide and give some refs. Fact is, just because you have an Italian label, that doesn't mean your bike was made in Italy.
No sh*t s sherlock. I'm entirely aware that manufacturinging is global what I find ubelievabel is the that the entire market is captured by recognizable names. There are over a billion Chinese and Indians per nation, are you going to suggest that they all ride re-labeled Giants, Treks and Bianchis made in Taiwan?

Thanks for the skoolin.

·
Registered
102 Posts
well, where i live i mainly see guys riding bikes buy such companies as "next" or "roadmaster" and some others. About a billion, well maybe a million times more frequently than i see them on a trek or cannondale or whatever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good Job, You Really Told Me Off!

Sintesi said:
No sh*t s sherlock. I'm entirely aware that manufacturinging is global what I find ubelievabel is the that the entire market is captured by recognizable names. There are over a billion Chinese and Indians per nation, are you going to suggest that they all ride re-labeled Giants, Treks and Bianchis made in Taiwan?

Thanks for the skoolin.
Ooooh Scary! Good comeback. Man, you really told me. Please...not again. Shut up Stupid...nobody personally attacked you.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
OCRRider said:
Ooooh Scary! Good comeback. Man, you really told me. Please...not again. Shut up Stupid...nobody personally attacked you.
"if you do your research" What is that all about? Like I'm supposed to or something.

Now you're saying "shut up." Unbelievable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay, here goes again for Mr. Super-sensitive!

Some of you may notice that many frames from various mfgs. are made in foreign countries, particularly Asia. I know for a fact that Giant Taiwan makes frames for numerous popular brands sold in the US.

How's that Sintesi? Do you not feel so "attacked"? Man you need to take some anger mgmt classes...you are way uptight. You must always get attacked and just expect it. No need to respond for I will not be participating in this banter any longer. Ta Ta!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts