Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Send them an email and ask for the 10% discount. A similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago when I placed an order and the next day they began offering free shipping to the US. I sent them an email and they issued a credit for the shipping. Their customer service is really good.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ordered

Took the plunge and ordered two ProRace 2s and tubes last night (7/6). I'll see how long it takes to get to California. If all goes well, I may bite the bullet and order some Mavic wheels from them.

I also called my credit card company to check on any international fees. There is a 3% currency conversion fee...regardless, that's still a great deal on the tires.

·
I am not aero
304 Posts
same here

I did the same with a set of P2Rs a while back - PBK got them to Tennessee in one week for a fantastic price and free shipping. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a complete Campy group.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just ordered a set of wheels.Last night I,for some reason,thought the prices they had listed were there normal prices then you take an additional 10% off that price.It appears that the prices they have listed already have the discount included.Either way it is still 40% cheaper than here in the states.

·
Registered
156 Posts
R.Rice said:
I just ordered a set of wheels.Last night I,for some reason,thought the prices they had listed were there normal prices then you take an additional 10% off that price.It appears that the prices they have listed already have the discount included.Either way it is still 40% cheaper than here in the states.
Yea, the listed prices on their site reflects the additional 10% off.

Curious - what wheels did you get? Reason I ask is that with the additional 'bulky' shipping charge (about $65) the Mavic SL SSC wheels are 'only' about $100-$150 less than other US-based online stores. Still that's about 15-20% savings after all is said and done. Just wondering which set you got that saved your 40%? That level of savings is on par with their tire deals.

·
Registered
156 Posts
trailertrash said:
A4B45200, The cheapest I saw the Carbone's was $1500, what are you seeing and where?
I was actually looking at the Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels (can't afford those bad boy Carbones Pros!). The SLs on their site its $623 + $65 shipping due to the bulk of the item. That's $688 + $20 (3%) currency conversion fee = $708 to my door.

Just for comparison...local LBS will cost me $941 after taxes for the same wheels. That's a $233 savings...significant enough to make it worth going to PBK. That savings can go towards a new cassette, set of tires and tubes (with change left over).

Most US-based online stores sell the set for around $865 + tax/shipping. Even with a 10% Performance discount, you still can't touch PBK's price on the wheels. If cheaper somewhere, I'd like to know before ordering from PBK!

Nonetheless, PBK is not 40% cheaper on these wheels (not that I'm complaining)...hence my question to the poster above on which wheels he got where he saved 40%. :confused:

·
Registered
156 Posts
trailertrash said:
The Carbone's are $913.61 + $65 + $27 = $1006, the other prices I have seen are in the $1500 range. Not quiet 40% but still a good deal.
Oh duh...I should have read up further. Yea, in that case saving $500 is well worth it. Hmm....now makes me wonder if I should 'move up' to that wheel. :idea:

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's tempting isn't it? It is never that cheap though cause you know your going to want to add in the extra cassete and tubes/tires to have a complete set of wheels. Unless you already have that stuff, then... what are you waiting for! ha ha...

·
Registered
156 Posts
trailertrash said:
It's tempting isn't it? It is never that cheap though cause you know your going to want to add in the extra cassete and tubes/tires to have a complete set of wheels. Unless you already have that stuff, then... what are you waiting for! ha ha...
No doubt...you start trying to justify it too! That's the thing, I do want a complete set (cassette, tires, tubes) so I can swap out as needed...I must resist!!

Right now, I can have a full setup of the Ksyrium SLs for less than the price of just the wheels from anywhere else. I must focus :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
collectorvelo said:
what about the duty? how much is collected when the stuff arrives?
Well...from what I read here so far, no duties have been charged on orders from PBK. I guess I'll find out for sure when my tires arrive. Not sure if the dollar amount you buy makes a difference if you get charged duty or not??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.