Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put together a ultegra/105 mix 10 sp bike, How is the wipperman chain??? Anyone try them how are they compare to the dura ace 10sp chains??? Also if I am using the dura ace 10sp chain do I need a different tool, right noe I am using one of those cheap performance brand chain tool would that be okay or do I have to get a 10 sp chain tool??? All my other bikes are 9 sp so this is a new project I am doing all the help would be great!!!

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Heaven forefend a recall!

Wippermann chains have mixed reviews, especially the stainless steel version. Apparently, they've noticed at Wippermann and are making some changes. Reading between the lines of the press release, it seems that they may have created chain plate micro cracks on some of their chains during assembly. Re the tool - get the 10-speed tool. The chain plates are very thin, so there's not much material holding the pin. Slight bending of the plate with a wider-ramped tool and the plate will come off the pin eventually.

JUNE 01, 2006 -- HAGEN, Germany (BRAIN)—Effective immediately, Wippermann will initiate the use of new materials and processes to increase the wear and flexibility of its high-performance bicycle chains.

The company will use a slightly less hard pin so that pressure against the chain plate is reduced in the assembly process. For the plates, the hardening procedure has been modified to allow a more flexible structure. To track production, Wippermann will now stamp each chain with a number to identify quarterly production period.

“The tracking number is important in the event of production problems or, heaven forefend, any recall. It will allow Wippermann to trace the production problem to a particular production period,” said Tom Petrie, president of Velimpex Marketing, exclusive Wippermann sales agents for the United States and Canada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm running a dura ace 10sp chain and using the wipperman connex 10sp removeable link without out any problems on 2 different road bikes. If you shop around you can pick up a DA chain for @ $20 vs $60 for the shimano specific wipperman.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.