Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RoadBikeRider.com had an article posted that they have found that the 10 speed chains are only lasting 1,500 miles before they are breaking. They say they are so thin, they are calling them necklaces. Even with lubrication they can't see them lasting any longer.

If this is the case, I'll stick with my 9 speed. I don't want any breakdowns that's why I drive a Honda and an Acura.

Comments?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
I got about 5000 miles on my first and only DA 10 spd chain with a lot of climbing in VA. It wasn't stretched enought to measure bad on my park chain checker. I changed it out just because I thought it was a long time to go with one chain. The new chain shifts fine with the same cranks & cassettes. For me it lasts as well as any other chain. I do clean with a rag and pedros and lube with prolink about every 150 miles or so. No chain cleaner device, no soaking.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
baloney...

Idiots who write that sort of review probably don't know how to maintain a chain or properly measure elongation. Elongation and roller wear are two distinctly different things. Most chain meauring tools, except a simple scale do not measure elongation properly. They measure elongation over a small length, and add roller wear which can be greater than the elongation. An accurate 12" scale is all that's needed to measure elongtion.

As for breaking, they won't if joined properly. I'm on my 7th season with Campy 10 and never had a chain problem.

I got 6000 miles from my last chain and it wasn't close to the allowable 1/16" per foot elongation. Why did I change it? The rollers were worn out. Both roller wear and elongation should be checked. From now on, I'm changing chains when the space between the rollers increase from .200 inch to .235-.240.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have well over 3000 miles on Ultegra-10, 75% worn

Perhaps they made a typo error? They seem to know what they are talking about.

My Ultegra-10, I am told by my LBS, is now ~75% worn so make it 4000 miles. I think DuraAce chain will last less than Ultegra and same for Record versus Centaur 10 speed chains. The cheaper chain and cassette will typicall last longer.

I do *not* look after my chain well at all. But I also do not ride with a "crooked" chain either which may affect the wear (in other words 53/25 or similar skewed gearing combo). Also I do not ride in the rain (well, 95% of the times) which I think also affects the wear. I am a weak rider which probably also affects it in a positive way. It other words it depends on the riders environment, strength and chosen gearing IMHO.

My extremely knowledgeable contact in cycling game (LBS owner too) said, based on his shop experience, dealing with mainly strong riders and racers:

Campag 10 where the owner is fanatical about cleanliness 15K kms. Average to good chain maintenance 9 - 12K kms, no maintenance: 5 - 7 K kms, for Shimano 10 drop to 10 - 12 K kms, 6 - 8K kms and 3 - 4K kms.

I leave you to do the miles to km conversion (hint 1.6). But in all cases 1500 miles is ridiculously low IMHO.

·
Ti me up
1,243 Posts
lawrence said:
RoadBikeRider.com had an article posted that they have found that the 10 speed chains are only lasting 1,500 miles before they are breaking. They say they are so thin, they are calling them necklaces. Even with lubrication they can't see them lasting any longer.

If this is the case, I'll stick with my 9 speed. I don't want any breakdowns that's why I drive a Honda and an Acura.

Comments?
Nonsense. Over 5K miles on my Campy 10 chain with a Wipperman link, with moderate care (I clean and lube pretty regularly, but I'm not obsessive).

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
RoadBikeRider is staffed by idiots. My Campy C10 had just over 5000 miles on it. I only replaced it because I lusted after a KMC X10SL. The C10 still had a lot o' life left in it.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I get 5,000 miles on my Campy Record 10 chains no problem. However, I had terrible experience with Wipperman chains. Bought two of them, and both were totally worn out with 1,500 miles or less. And yes, I did lubricate and clean the chains. When I removed the Wippermans, they were stretched 1/2-inch longer after 1,500 miles than my previous Campy chain was after 5,000 miles. However, I have used Wipperman/Connex superlinks for several years with no problems whatsoever. I use them with my Campy chains to make installation and cleaning easier.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
That was a curmudgeonry, not a statistical statement. It was an article about chain breaking, and they were calling them necklaces because they are so thin in appearance, not because they are inherently delecate (stretch-wise.) The article continues to say that virtually every instance of breakage occured at the joining point, and went on to suggest that it's about technique and proper tooling, not about the any inherent 'weakness' in the chain itself. They also mention that a Wipperman or similar master link is a solution to the problem.

Some folks will go through a chain in 1500 miles - I've known strong riders in hills that went through 7-speed chains like that, even with proper maintenance and technique.

You have no reason to expect significantly lower mileage from a 10-speed chain as from your 9-speeds. Unless you are dis/assembling them more than once - they don't take well to that at all, because the narrow plates limit the tolerances. If you install the chain right and leave it on, there's nothing to worry about. If you're breaking it every month to soak-clean it, 1500 miles would be a long, long service.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Waiting for a response

lawrence said:
RoadBikeRider.com had an article posted that they have found that the 10 speed chains are only lasting 1,500 miles before they are breaking. They say they are so thin, they are calling them necklaces. Even with lubrication they can't see them lasting any longer. Comments?
I sent them an e-mail challenging this claim. It will be interesting to see their response.

·
Registered
838 Posts
RoadBikeRider didn't say that. Uncle Al said it, It's one man's opinion, not based on any controlled study but random observation. Furthermore, he didn't exactly say that the chains "are only lasting 1,500 miles before they are breaking." He said, "I don't think we can expect them to last more than 1,500 miles." That's like saying that the oil in your car only lasts 3,000 miles. It'll really lasts much longer, but the longer you use the chain (or the oil), the greater your risk of trouble is. If you have a low tolerance for risk, change your chain (and oil) often. If you have a high tolerance for risk, don't change your chain (or oil) ever.

Finally, remember that Uncle Al is a bike shop owner and he sells chains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.