Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of buying the old Dura ace (I ride alot and need higher end BB's) BB's as they are too expensive compared to todays outboard BB's. Can I use a 10 speed crank and BB on my 9 speed setup? Do I need a 10 speed chain?

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
And the not so quick answer...you can get a NOS Dura Ace 7700 BB for around $70.00-$100.00...

That means you can buy 4 or 5 7700 BB's for the price on one 7800 crankset and BB...

That's a whole lot of additional miles on your "old" crankset

FWIW, I have over 15,000 miles on a Dura Ace 7700 BB and haven't worn it out yet....As long as it's service regularly, it will last a long time..

now if you want a 10 speed crankset because it looks cool, that is another thing..go for it.....

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
And the not so quick answer...you can get a NOS Dura Ace 7700 BB for around $70.00-$100.00...

That means you can buy 4 or 5 7700 BB's for the price on one 7800 crankset and BB...

That's a whole lot of additional miles on your "old" crankset

FWIW, I have over 15,000 miles on a Dura Ace 7700 BB and haven't worn it out yet....As long as it's service regularly, it will last a long time..

now if you want a 10 speed crankset because it looks cool, that is another thing..go for it.....
Or you could get a 105 BB and it will last forever. - TF

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
joey1 said:
Wow... thanks for the worthless advice.

And I did a quick search. In the amount of time you spent being an ass you could have showed some class an answered my question.
10 speeds are spaced slightly more closely, so you may have a bit more ring rub in the small ring-smallish cog combos. The useful small-parts stores sell spacers to move the inner ring in just a bit to help avoid the problem. More a problem with compacts than conventional setups.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Danl1. That's the technical info I was looking for.

And Dave it may cost you $400 but I can get 10spd cranks and a BB for under $100. Not a bad idea now is it? Still LMAO? Whatever that means...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.