Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question:

Will a 10 speed front deraileur (such as a double Ring Ultegra Band) work with a 9 speed drivetrain? What is the difference between 10 speed and 9 speed front deraileurs (i'm hearing the cage's are different width's.).

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Can't imagine it wouldn't, but I'm still 8-speed

A front der. really doesn't have to do much, and I've swapped all kinds of them onto all kinds of drivelines without any trouble (my commuter uses a Campy 990 front d. with Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters, for instance). But I'm still clunking along with an eight-speed driveline, so I may have missed the last three or four incompatability upgrades.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I'm not sure on the Shimano line but Campy's 10spd front derailleur has a plastic tab that effectively narrows the cage width for the narrower 10spd chain. You can pop it out and you have a regular 9spd derailleur (I believe this is Record and Chrous levels, not sure about lower levels).

·
Registered
64 Posts
From what I understand, not only will the Ultegra 10 front der work without a problem with your 9 speed stuff, but should noticably improve shifting up front as well... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mcoven said:
From what I understand, not only will the Ultegra 10 front der work without a problem with your 9 speed stuff, but should noticably improve shifting up front as well... :)
Awesome. I juist got some Rouler Carbon cranks to replace my truvative Touro's (going for 3x9 - 2x9), and now i'm finding out that the Tiagra Front deraileur won't work properly on a 2x9 setup:( It just keeps dropping the chain when shifting from the 53T to the 39T, will a new deraileur fix this problem?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
mcoven said:
I agree. Shimano beefed up the cages on the 10 speed front derailleurs to improve shifting. Use it for 9 speed.. It will work just fine....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts