Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Gall said:
Please dont flame too badly.....

Can I use a 10 speed drive train with a 9 speed cassette/wheel?

Thanks!
Somewhat confused about what you are asking.

Assuming Shimano:

You have 10-speed (including a 10-speed cassette/chain) and have a wheel/hub that had a 9-speed cassette on it? Yes, the hubs are 8/9/10-speed compatible. You will need a 1mm spacer that goes on before the 10-speed cassette. It comes with the cassette.

You have 10-speed shifters and want to use a 9-speed cassette? No, not with standard equipment/configurations. There are 'fixes' available, but why???

TF

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reasons...

sorry about not being clear in my post.

I have two bikes that are 9 speeds and I switch my powertap wheel between the two. I was thinking about getting a Tri bike but it looks like the tri bike would be a 10 speed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, sorry but they wouldn't be comatible. The 10 sp chain wouldn't work on a 9 sp cassette. Also, when you change gear, the rear mech would move the wrong distance. I can't see any way around it other than changing all three to 9 sp or 10 sp.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Gall said:
sorry about not being clear in my post.

I have two bikes that are 9 speeds and I switch my powertap wheel between the two. I was thinking about getting a Tri bike but it looks like the tri bike would be a 10 speed.

Thanks!
Couple of options:

Look here under Alternate Cable Routing:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Check out the ShiftMate:

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Assuming the tri-bike has bar end shifters, it would not be too expensive to go to 9-speed. Would need shifters, chain and cassette. Also check to be sure that your hub will take a 9-speed cassette.

TF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.