Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my 2006 Record 10 rear derailleur and was just going to pick up another similar one (Prices on eBay range from $100 used to $250 new) but it's 10 year old technology.

Should I consider a current Centaur 10 speed rear derailleur (prices $119 new).

I am running pre-2011 Centaur 10 Speed Ultrashift levers.

Any advantages to the more modern Centaur? Does it shift better or is it lighter?

As always, thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Nik

Attachments

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
The redesign of the RD's that occurred in 2009 was an improvement, and I suspect some running changes since to improve spring tension. The current 10-speed offering is Veloce since Centaur was discontinued a couple of years ago. I have a 2015 Veloce setup and was most impressed. Cable pull and actuation ratio remains the same through the whole 10-speed line.

Auto part Machine Hardware accessory Steel Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
299 Posts
I run both the old (Centaur, Veloce) and new style (Veloce) on different bikes. And to be honest I don't think I can tell the difference. The new style may have a stronger spring making for slightly heavier shifts? But that may be because the bike I run it on has less than ideal cable routing? Or placebo effect?

I suspect the new style Veloce is just as good as all the others and cheap as chips.

I doubt you'll tell the difference whichever you go for. Shifting is great with all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.