Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Trust me on this one...

the 7400 series derailleur will work with 7400 series shifters and 7700 shifters only(and the 7700 shifters will shift for 8 speed spacing.no special cable routing needed)....

It will only shift 6,7, or 8 speeds depending on the shifters used...The alternate cable routing doesn't work with the 7400 series derailleurs.

been there done that, I could write a book about it.....:)

The 7400 series Dura Ace rear derailleur is an anomaly in Shimano's road groups....It has a unique geometry/parallelogram.... It only works with the shifters it was designed for...

·
Registered
934 Posts
The alternate cable routing makes a new derailer work with the 74xx Dura-Ace 8-speed shifters, with an 8-speed cassette. Thus a new derailer with alternate cable routing has the same pull as a 74xx Dura-Ace derailer.

The alternate cable routing on a new derailer with a 10-speed shifter also makes it work with a 9-speed cassette. Thus it follows that a 74xx derailer, with a 10-speed shifter, should also work with a 9-speed cassette.

This is all theory; there could be subtle differences which make it not work in practice.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
russotto said:
The alternate cable routing on a new derailer with a 10-speed shifter also makes it work with a 9-speed cassette. Thus it follows that a 74xx derailer, with a 10-speed shifter, should also work with a 9-speed cassette.

I agree that 10 speed shifts 9 speed using the alternate routing...and 9 speed shifters will shift 8 speed using the alternate routing only when using any Shimano rear derailleur but a 74xx rear derailleur

as for 10 speed using a 74xx rear...I've tried it..it doesn't work... re-read Sheldons chart..

The 74xx series only works with 6,7, 8 and 9 speed shifters...No alternate routing required...

When using a 74xx rear derailleur, 8 speed shifters will shift 8 speed. 9 speed shifters will also shift 8 speed with no alternate routing... this is due to the unique parallogram of the 74xx Dura Ace rear derailleur...

·
leon2982
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What to do

My thinking was maybe put these 10-speed shifters I have to use but I see now that won't work. Awesome source this forum is; saved me tons of time trying to see if this would work. I like riding this old steel 8-speed but I ride a PT rear wheel and I'm getting tired of swapping cassetts every time I want to ride it on a training ride. I'm thinking maybe put this whold 8-speed gruppo on my TT bike. I hardly ever shift on the local TT anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.