Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies ahead of time as I'm sure this has been asked quite a bit. Just had a little racing episode and my 9 speed DA STI's are trashed. I really don't want to spend that kind of money to upgrade the 9 speed, can I just go with 10 speed STI's and leave everything else the same? If that is doable, would my Mavic Ksyrium wheels (SSC originals) take a 10 speed cassette? Did a search and feel I can do this, want to check with those of you in the know. Thanks.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Sub said:
Apologies ahead of time as I'm sure this has been asked quite a bit. Just had a little racing episode and my 9 speed DA STI's are trashed. I really don't want to spend that kind of money to upgrade the 9 speed, can I just go with 10 speed STI's and leave everything else the same? If that is doable, would my Mavic Ksyrium wheels (SSC originals) take a 10 speed cassette? Did a search and feel I can do this, want to check with those of you in the know. Thanks.
You need shifters, cassette and chain to go 10-speed. A 10speed cassette will fit on a 9-speed hub with a spacer (included with cassette) behind. If your Mavic is the type that will accept a Campy compatible 10-speed Mavic cassette, it also has a spacer for the Shimano-9 cassette. You need both spacers.

BTW, you could also just change the shifters (for now) and run them as 9-speed by attaching the cable to the 'wrong' side of the read derailleur bolt. See the Sheldon Brown/Harris site for details.

TF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts