Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just want your opinion on this matter: I have a 10 year old Paradox carbon fiber fork that came with my Litespeed. I have had no crashes or accidents. There are no visible cracks on the fork. I only have cosmetic blemishes on the clearcoat. I believe it has an aluminum steerer and dropouts. Do you think I need to replace a cf fork because of age?

Thanks.
Master Killer

·
Super Moderator
40,469 Posts
Master Killer said:
Hello,
I just want your opinion on this matter: I have a 10 year old Paradox carbon fiber fork that came with my Litespeed. I have had no crashes or accidents. There are no visible cracks on the fork. I only have cosmetic blemishes on the clearcoat. I believe it has an aluminum steerer and dropouts. Do you think I need to replace a cf fork because of age?

Thanks.
Master Killer
I'd ride it, but no one here can diagnose its condition online. If you're a heavy, abusive rider that lives to bunny-hop over potholes, you might think twice. Do you tend to be hard on equipment, going through lots of wheelsets, or are you a more restrained rider? Aging alone won't really affect your fork (not even cosmic radiation, so they say), and Litespeed has a pretty good rep; you can probably trust their choice in CF supplier. Likewise, the alloy steerer tube isn't going to be any more of a concern than riding a ten-year old 'dale, or flying in a ten-year old Boeing. Even though alloys have a finite "application lifespan," they're usually overengineered for that app, within a range of stress loads. IOW (as I understand it), impact stresses are the natural enemy of alloys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd probably risk it

but, I am also one of these people that think what if. If you're doing 40-50kph on a downhill and the fork fails you're f**cked. If the fork was made yr 2000 onward I'd say yes without hesitation but a fork made in '95/6 would be fairly new tech for that time and they didn't know quite what they were doing.

If you can afford to replace it I would but if not then some reasonable riding should be ok - especially if you don't think what if...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts