Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had stopped by this store in the rain and was looking at bikes. I saw what I wanted and the guy said to come back when the weather clears and take a test ride, I said I would.
So today a nice sunny day I rode to this store and walked in and said I was ready for my test ride. They guy said ok I just need $100. I said "for what?" he said "for the test ride" I said "you charge money for a test ride?" he said yes. You will get it taken off the price if you decide to buy it.
I told him I had never in my life paid money to test ride a bike and walked out. This is a store in Issaquah Washington that sells mostly Specialized bikes. Is this a new trend?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
a hundo for a test ride...?

refundable with purchase...?

nah, Homey don't play that...

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
a hundo for a test ride...?

refundable with purchase...?

nah, Homey don't play that...
Seems reasonable to me.

It's probably a 24 hour or longer type of deal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I paid 100 dollars once to rent a Giant Anthem 27.5 for a few hours...only thing i regret is not packing my pedals and shoes for the trip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Last week I had stopped by this store in the rain and was looking at bikes. I saw what I wanted and the guy said to come back when the weather clears and take a test ride, I said I would.
So today a nice sunny day I rode to this store and walked in and said I was ready for my test ride. They guy said ok I just need $100. I said "for what?" he said "for the test ride" I said "you charge money for a test ride?" he said yes. You will get it taken off the price if you decide to buy it.
I told him I had never in my life paid money to test ride a bike and walked out. This is a store in Issaquah Washington that sells mostly Specialized bikes. Is this a new trend?

I call that a rental

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sounds like a rental. Local bike shop let me test a mountain bike for a whole weekend. Had a shop let me take out a $13000 bike for a test spin without charging a cent.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i wish i could charge $10-$20 for test rides on the vintage bikes i sell on craigs. about 80 percent of the time, they buy the bike, but the remainder makes me feel like i did a lot of hand holding for nothing.

it's always a guy that doesn't buy it. the ladies always pull the trigger relatively quickly. i should probably just focus on mixtes.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Ha! LBSs are actively trying to run themselves out of business!

probably not. my guess is they size up their customers and if they believe the customer is serious they don't charge. they probably feel taken advantage of. they may get it wrong sometimes and right others. just my guess.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Ha! LBSs are actively trying to run themselves out of business!
that's my take as well...

lotta whining about not being able to compete with online sales but then gouging the customer for a simple test ride.

genius move.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
$100 for the weekend with the price coming off if you buy it? I can see that.
$100 for a 5 or 10 mile test ride...
In Dana Carvey's voice...Not guuuunnnnna do it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
last two bikes bought on faith. i got lucky. i would very much want to rent for a weekend, but with some bikes next to impossible.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
They'd have to pay me $100 to test ride a Specialized. That's insane

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
They'd have to pay me $100 to test ride a Specialized. That's insane
After railroading small bike shops for using the name Roubaix, Mike Sinyard has to pay his legal fees somehow.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
but to be fair to the LBS, there are probably a ton of people who test ride their bikes, or go in to their shop to check something out, only to buy online. LBS probably seen it all too often.

if you go into a Ferrari dealer asking for a test ride, they probably say no unless they know you're a potential buyer.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can understand the OP's frustration if he was looking to test ride a bike in the $1000 - $3000 range, but I can also understand the LBS's position to not let a bunch of "looky-loos" try out $10,000 (or more) bikes for the fun of it. They'll be the same person who will want a discount because the bike has already been ridden.

To the OP, find out when the LBS has demo days. That's when the Specialized Van comes around with demo bikes and will allow you to ride until your hearts content.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've been in that shop exactly once - I didn't think much of the experience - won't be going back.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts