Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=19#

I've been looking everywhere for used and new, and the local dealer wants $1000 plus 5% tax.
It's an 05, brand new, and I can switch out the DA rear D for an XT and cassette to save a few bucks. OR I could just sell the DA on ebay and pick up an XT mailorder for about $40. Same same, I suppose.

Is this just so-so in the big picture of getting deals on cross bikes?

· Registered
55 Posts
I'd recommend getting it with the DA rear D. The webpage doesn't specify shifters, but if they're 105, I'd call it a day and get the bike. The only upgrade I'd suggest (if you have the cash) if to find a better set of wheels, like an inexpensive pair of FSAs or something.

· Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
radioflyer said:
I'd recommend getting it with the DA rear D. The webpage doesn't specify shifters, but if they're 105, I'd call it a day and get the bike. The only upgrade I'd suggest (if you have the cash) if to find a better set of wheels, like an inexpensive pair of FSAs or something.
Interesting. Why the DA rear D over an XT? I'd like to put a 32 cog on the back, and that DA could get ripped off. I wouldn't cry as much over a $40 XT. Heck, the $$ could go toward a wheelset.

· Registered
55 Posts
Oh, well I didn't realize you were wanting to make a mountain bike out of it. A 32 is pretty large for the back end of a cross bike. Especially a 38x32. I royally suck (read: fat/slow) at 'cross and I run a 38/27. DA is a sweet rear D that's going to be crisp and sharp. XT is fine though, so if you're after some low gearing, yeah save the dough and get some better wheels.

· Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
radioflyer said:
Oh, well I didn't realize you were wanting to make a mountain bike out of it. A 32 is pretty large for the back end of a cross bike. Especially a 38x32. I royally suck (read: fat/slow) at 'cross and I run a 38/27. DA is a sweet rear D that's going to be crisp and sharp. XT is fine though, so if you're after some low gearing, yeah save the dough and get some better wheels.
All the hardcore cross freaks in my neck of the woods run a 27 or 32 with a 38 or 39 front. We have some steeps around here. I plan to mainly commute and do loooong smooth steep hills, and I'd like to stay away from my bout with knee pain (the left one, ouch).

I've been reading more and the wheels must go.

· Registered
55 Posts
Well, here's my take: And I do not profess to be an expert, I'm just a guy who rides... whatever you do, don't buy it because it's $1000. But it because it fits well and will fill whatever role you want the bike to fill. A good deal is no excuse for buying something that isn't what you want. One quick plug (if I may)... Neuvation wheels. They've very affordable, and I've had a pair of M28s Aero wheels for about 6 months. They're not feather-light (but neither am I) and they've been great. They're on sale right now for $300, and that's hard to beat. neuvationcycling.com.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.