Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my old Time Impacts broke, I'm looking to spend $100ish or under. Should I just go with some RXS and call it a day? Any "semi" light options, I was thinking under 250 grams (pair) if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
So my old Time Impacts broke, I'm looking to spend $100ish or under. Should I just go with some RXS and call it a day? Any "semi" light options, I was thinking under 250 grams (pair) if possible.
Or you could think long term cost of ownership and get pedals that will hold up. I put 130,000 miles on a set of Campy ProFits before they started to get a little loose on the release. They were far cheaper per mile than anything out there.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've been rocking the SPD SL shimano 105 pedals and so far, I like them (used SPD last year). I picked them up for well under $100.

The surface contact is great, theyre made extremely well, there's just enough float to feel free but not too free (aka speedplay style) and clipping in and out is easy. I wanted to see if liked the SPD SL before I commit to a higher end pedal...well see how this season goes.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I've been rocking the SPD SL shimano 105 pedals and so far, I like them (used SPD last year). I picked them up for well under $100. The surface contact is great, theyre made extremely well, there's just enough float to feel free but not too free (aka speedplay style) and clipping in and out is easy. I wanted to see if liked the SPD SL before I commit to a higher end pedal...well see how this season goes.
+1 for 105 SPD-SL. I have the ultegra version but the 105 are just as good. I got the Ultegas from PBK many years back for $67 (stole them) but the 105s would be what I replace them with if I had to.

The cleats on the SPD-SL are my favorite since when you walk on then you DO NOT walk on the surface that mates with the pedal so there's no wear due to that. You actually walk on rubberish bumpers (red, yellow or blue depending on the cleat float) I guess Look has keo "grip" cleats now that appear to do the same thing but the SPD-SL pedal bodies also have stainless steel wear plates. The end result is many years of use and no squeaking, minimal cleat wear, and pretty much zero wear on the pedal body .

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

Thanks!

Shimano 105 Road Pedals - Bike Pedals / Cleats

Shimano Ultegra PD-6700 Grey Road Pedals - Road Bike Pedals
this is a really good deal. gorgeous footprint. i think today is the last day of free ship. twenty bucks over budget, but it doesnt get any better.

and when you speak of me, speak well ......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Shimano 105 Road Pedals - Bike Pedals / Cleats

Shimano Ultegra PD-6700 Grey Road Pedals - Road Bike Pedals
this is a really good deal. gorgeous footprint. i think today is the last day of free ship. twenty bucks over budget, but it doesnt get any better.

and when you speak of me, speak well ......:thumbsup:
Both are great pedals, but heavy for those concerned with weight - 322g and 310g respectively. Have to go Dura Ace carbon to get under 250g and that way blows his budget.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
for what kind of bike, though? there's weight and there's weenie
That's true, but given that he wants light weight on a budget, the Shimano pedals (very good pedals for sure) don't cut it. We can debate the need to save weight, but a lot of us like to save 100 grams here and there. It's easy to do if you buy a modestly priced Time or Look pedal, around 250 grams for the same price as the 325 gram alternatives. And they are excellent pedals too.

There may be a durability trade off with that low weight/price choice, but it hasn't panned out in my personal experience. But then again, I'm not a good test of durability - pretty easy on equipment - neither high strength, high mileage or rough on it.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
The KEO easy pedals are lighter than the classics. You lose the tension adjustment, but if you're not a racer, then it won't matter anyway. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with Shimano pedals, as I've heard many times they have more durable cleats.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The KEO easy pedals are lighter than the classics. You lose the tension adjustment, but if you're not a racer, then it won't matter anyway. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with Shimano pedals, as I've heard many times they have more durable cleats.
The time RXS type cleats are super durable too. The business part is brass which contacts metal on the pedal (long, long wearing) and they have three rubber points to walk on, very similar to Shimano. Again, nothing against the excellent Shimano pedals, but the cleat factor is probably in favor of Time, and a drawback to Look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.