Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some ultegra brakes for a bike i'm building as a gift when i needed long reach calipers. So... what to do with the ultegras... my road bike has 105 brakes in good repair, would it be worthwhile to put the ultegras on there or should i just return them?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I bought some ultegra brakes for a bike i'm building as a gift when i needed long reach calipers. So... what to do with the ultegras... my road bike has 105 brakes in good repair, would it be worthwhile to put the ultegras on there or should i just return them?
I doubt that there would be any functional benefit between the 105 and Ultegra calipers, so if it were me I'd return them for the cash.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the cable pull is different. When I changed from 5600 to 5700 levers, the brakes worked ok, but I really noticed that I had to pull harder on the levers. Went from 5600 to 5800 brakes, much better. So...I would stick with the 5600 unless you want to change your shifters as well (and if you do, the 5700 levers can be had relatively cheaply on Ribble).

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you were running the new 6800 brifters the new 6800 brakes are nice, more power and a better pull. Local shop said they don't seem to feel the same when used with the 6700 brifters.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I noticed a slight difference when using 6800 calipers and a lesser quality Shimano levers... IMO there was more a drag when braking. Now with matching gear all 6800 groupo, levers and caliper seem to bite more and really slow me down faster with less effort.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you pull the brake lever and look inside, you'll see that the cable makes an unimpeded straight shot through the shifter and into the cable housing. There's nothing in the lever that's going to cause drag or be different. The leverage ratio may be a bit different.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Local shop said they don't seem to feel the same when used with the 6700 brifters.
Not much truth in that statement from my experience. I had a 6700 setup but used 6800 brakes because they were cheaper and looked better in my opinion than the 6700 brake set. No difference in stopping power than my 6870 set up with 6800 brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts