Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my circa-96 Giant TCR (105 groupset) from its original 8-speed 12-25 cluster/chain to 9-speed 12-23 cluster/chain. Shifting on the 9-speed cluster is perfect, except when the rear derailleur gets to the second to the smallest cog (13?). It stays on it briefly but jumps off onto the 12. I've fiddled with the cable adjusters on the downtube, as well as on the rd. Can this still be fine-tuned? Or is my STI shifter not compatible with the 9-speed cluster?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
joey2mak said:
I recently upgraded my circa-96 Giant TCR (105 groupset) from its original 8-speed 12-25 cluster/chain to 9-speed 12-23 cluster/chain. Shifting on the 9-speed cluster is perfect, except when the rear derailleur gets to the second to the smallest cog (13?). It stays on it briefly but jumps off onto the 12. I've fiddled with the cable adjusters on the downtube, as well as on the rd. Can this still be fine-tuned? Or is my STI shifter not compatible with the 9-speed cluster?
Not compatible. There is different gap spacing between the cogs requiring shifters that pull different amounts of cable. You might try the 'alternate cable connection trick' of attaching the cable to the wrong side of the rear derailleur bolt. - TF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts