1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
105 components
Compact Double
10 speed rear

I am hoping this was an isolated incident, but looking for information. This is basically a brand new bike (less than 100 miles on it). Yesterday I went to shift from the big chainring down to the little chainring and the front shifter/derrailer locked up on me. It would not move either way. So, basically I was stuck in the big chainring. After pusking and pulling on the shifter for a while, it finally broke free and started working again. It worked fine for the rest of the ride. It did not look like the chain was wedged. The derrailer looked fine, it just wouldn't shift.

Do you think this is cable stretch, or something else? Do you think it was an isolated incident or should I take it in to have it looked at?

I apprecdiate any input.

Todd

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
BoneDigger said:
105 components
Compact Double
10 speed rear

I am hoping this was an isolated incident, but looking for information. This is basically a brand new bike (less than 100 miles on it). Yesterday I went to shift from the big chainring down to the little chainring and the front shifter/derrailer locked up on me. It would not move either way. So, basically I was stuck in the big chainring. After pusking and pulling on the shifter for a while, it finally broke free and started working again. It worked fine for the rest of the ride. It did not look like the chain was wedged. The derrailer looked fine, it just wouldn't shift.

Do you think this is cable stretch, or something else? Do you think it was an isolated incident or should I take it in to have it looked at?

I apprecdiate any input.

Todd
Clarify a bit. When you say 'shifter/derailleur locked up on me,' which was it? Did the shifter up on the handlebar feel like it locked up? Or was it clicking and moving but the derailleur wasn't budging? I'm guessing what you mean is the smaller downshift paddle on the brake/shifter wouldn't move? And that's what you pushing and pulling awhile?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OES said:
Clarify a bit. When you say 'shifter/derailleur locked up on me,' which was it? Did the shifter up on the handlebar feel like it locked up? Or was it clicking and moving but the derailleur wasn't budging? I'm guessing what you mean is the smaller downshift paddle on the brake/shifter wouldn't move? And that's what you pushing and pulling awhile?
Yes, that is correct. I think it was the shifter itself that was locked up. The shifter would not move.

Todd

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like the shifter could use a few drops of a good oil. And, perhaps, a new SS cable would be a good idea as well. Oil the cable & housing - not grease.

Good luck!

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
BoneDigger said:
Yes, that is correct. I think it was the shifter itself that was locked up. The shifter would not move.

Todd
If this were an older bike, I'd hang it upside down and flush that shifter out with Tri-Flow. Since it's basically new, I'd first check the cabling to see if there's a hangup somewhere.

I'm a big believer in waiting till something happens twice before I get too exercised about it. If I were you I'd have a shop look at it if it happens again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll give it a lube and then just see if it happens again. I don't cherish the idea of being 10-15 miles from home and loing the ability to shift, but hopefully it won't happen again.

I appreciate the help!

Todd

·
Registered
38 Posts

my guess is that your outer stop allowed you to overshift into a gear as if you had a triple. I have seen many occasions where bikes using triple shifters-limited onto double or compact cranksets get jammed into that click. Some irreversibly. Shimano is usually cool about fixing the problem if it becomes permanent, but in the meantime tighten your outer stop and try to be aware and not shift past the second ring. Total shot in the dark as I do not even know if you are running a double...but I have seen a bunch of these shenanigans and thought I would pass it along. klugg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the same problem... Stuck on large chain ring. new bike. Shimano 105 shifter and derailleur. cable is super tight, and the shift levers do nothing. Second time happening for me in a week. The first time i had the LBS adjust. I want to ride today, but no shops are open.

When it happened i shifted down, it clicked, however nothing happened and it stayed on top chainring. now there is no feedback from the shifters. The black lever will move but no clicking or shifting. The larger shifter lever appears to be locked in place.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This just happend to my buddy on his brand new bike. They said Shimano sent out a bad batch of them. Shimano replaced his with Ultegra for free.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same problem with my compact with 105 shifters. I was told on this site that the 105 shifters are made for triples and also used on compacts. what happened to me is that I was in the big ring and without looking tried to shift up to the next front chainring... the shifter will do it but the chain has no where to go and gets stuck... It was reccomened to me to make sure and look down to see what ring i'm in when shifting up... so far no more problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.