Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trainer attached road bike has 105 shifters on it and they have stopped shifting. I used to be able to get them to shift with some cajoling, but now neither side will shift at all. I had a similar problem on a mountain bike I bought for the wife that had been sitting in a garage for years unused and someone told me to put some grease in there and it fixed the problem - I assume that this is the same deal, but am unsure of how to go about doing it with these shifters. Help?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Standard treatment

First things to check, since both sides don't work, is cables and dirt. You should check for contamination in the cable housings and for kinks or frayed cables. The cables should be clean inside the housings and I would recommend lubing them with oil. For the shifters themselves, sluice them out with ProLink, TriFlow, or WD-40 while working the shifters up and down. If you use WD-40 or any other solvent, you will need some sort of lube as a chaser. This time of year, shifter problems can be due to the grease getting stiff in the cold, or crud contamination due to the rough weather conditions. Sluicing the shifters will eliminate those problems. If that, and good cables, don't fix the problem, then start looking for new shifters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts